Clutch tubing / fuel line moving problem

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
Joe_bury

Clutch tubing / fuel line moving problem

Post by Joe_bury » 22nd January 2017 - 10:30am

Hi all,

Has anyone had the problem of the clutch cable tube that runs through the chassis coming unfixed? I took off the gear stick lever and noticed the weld had snapped off as could see the bracket which allowed the clutch pipe to raise up (I'm assuming it's welded to the floor pan?). This isn't the only issue it came from when I was trying to adjust the Bowden tube then all off a sudden heard some dripping which was the metal fuel line had pushed into the chassis and pushed off the rubber fuel line next to the gearbox very strange! I'm assuming the clutch tube snagged the fuel line hence why it pull in.
If anyone has experienced before please get in touch because I'm trying to work out how to refix the clutch tubing back into place and at this stage the only way I can see is to cut a hole in the tunnel next to the gear stick to get in a reweld it.

Thanks for reading
Cheers

miketyp3

Re: Clutch tubing / fuel line moving problem

Post by miketyp3 » 23rd January 2017 - 1:34pm

Hi Joe,
Its never happened to me personally, but I have heard of it several times.
As the conduit and fuel line were installed before the floor pan went on, the only way to access the weld is to cut a window in the centre tunnel as you describe. However carefully done I'm sure it can be an almost invisible repair.

The later models normally have the removable mounting for the gear shift and shift rod support bracket. My old 71 had it, but not sure when it was introduced.
That might give you a little bit better access, but I can't say for certain.

Hopefully someone will be along soon with more experience who can help better.

Mike
Mike

64 1500S Notchback - RHD Sunroof
66 1600TL Fastback - Pigalle Interior
67 T346 Karmann Ghia - RHD Sunroof

Joe_bury

Post by Joe_bury » 21st February 2017 - 11:14pm

Hi Mike,

Managed to get the job done had to do a bit of surgury cutting a hole or two in the tunnel to get access to the loose clutch cable. Managed to weld it back into place and have solved all my clutch shuddering issues.
Thanks for getting back to me car is nearly ready to be registered.
Kind regards
Joe

miketyp3

Post by miketyp3 » 22nd February 2017 - 10:50am

Really glad to hear you managed to fix it Joe.
I'm sure your experience will be useful to others in the future, so thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Mike

64 1500S Notchback - RHD Sunroof
66 1600TL Fastback - Pigalle Interior
67 T346 Karmann Ghia - RHD Sunroof