Instrument Panel Illuminations

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
TheLettingsKid

Instrument Panel Illuminations

Post by TheLettingsKid » 24th March 2017 - 11:26am

Hey All,

So I finally got my VW Type 3 Fastback back after an engine rebuild including new heat exchangers and exhaust (ouch!). So will have a few small jobs to do now. First one on the list is the instrument panel illuminations. When driving at night, the speedo, etc are almost completely in the dark. I think there is a dull light in the petrol gauge. I've popped the dials out of the dash (only the clock fully as I didn't want to disconnect too many wires). Are there light bulbs inside the speedo, etc? Can they be replaced? If so, does anyone know how? The clock seems to be a sealed unit. Cheers! David

packers1712

Re: Instrument Panel Illuminations

Post by packers1712 » 24th March 2017 - 12:58pm

Yes all of the instruments have lamps in them and they can be changed, they should've just be a bayonet style fitment and the lamp holder comes out of the instrument revealing the bulb. I have changed mine but the only one that got any brighter was the speedo so mine may require some kind of clean internally so they have been left for now.

JSR-69

Post by JSR-69 » 24th March 2017 - 1:49pm

Just a thought ... depending on the year, the light switch has a dimmer action for the instrument lights. You do have this turned clockwise ... don't you???
Judi R
1963 Beetle (awaiting restoration)
1972 Karmann Ghia (sold)
1972 412 Variant Auto
1974 412 5-door Variant project

TheLettingsKid

Post by TheLettingsKid » 24th March 2017 - 5:27pm

Thanks for the replies. Well now I feel like an idiot! There is a dimmer. I'll report back after a test run tonight. I might owe you a drink!!

;)

Chino

Post by Chino » 27th March 2017 - 8:56am

Sounds like yours is healthier than the one that came in mine, but the actual switch unit in mine was toast, so I had no internal illumination(but everything else worked). Changing the switch unit fixed that. Hopefully yours just needs turning up tho! :)

TheLettingsKid

Post by TheLettingsKid » 27th March 2017 - 10:14am

No comment :roll: On an unrelated topic... all sorted now!! Ha - thank you!