Headlight Issue

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
TheLettingsKid

Headlight Issue

Post by TheLettingsKid » 27th March 2017 - 5:29pm

Hey All, another issue! When I bought the car, my driving lights did not work. However, when it came back from the engine rebuild, they were working - woo hoo! But I just changed a "side light" bulb and now the driving lights do not work again. I have side lights and full beam but not standard driving lights. Full beam only stay on if I hold the indicator leaver back of course. I've checked the wiring and there is no power to the headlight wiring for that beam and no power to the relevant fuse either. Is this likely to be the headlight switch or the relay? Or something else maybe!

Is there a way to track down the issue? I've taken the switch out (part number 113941531).

Thanks!

David :D

miketyp3

Re: Headlight Issue

Post by miketyp3 » 27th March 2017 - 6:17pm

It won't be the switch as that supplies current for both high and low beam from the same terminal.
It could possibly be the relay, so check the yellow wire going from the relay socket to the fuse box.
If there's nothing there, then its likely the relay that's at fault unless its the high/low beam operation... but from what you say it sounds like its switching (i.e. does the high beam go out?)
The relay is a cheap and easy thing to try, can be a bit intermittent, and a spare is worth owning anyway.
Mike

64 1500S Notchback - RHD Sunroof
66 1600TL Fastback - Pigalle Interior
67 T346 Karmann Ghia - RHD Sunroof

TheLettingsKid

Post by TheLettingsKid » 27th March 2017 - 6:50pm

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have tracked down the relays above the fuses. There is a black bar that seems to have space for 5 relays but there are only two in there. One to the far left and one to the far right. The far right has a part number (411941583B) and does not seem to want to come out. The far left does come out but does not have a part number (it is made in the UK so is aftermarket I guess). Do you know which one is my target? Also, are the 3 empty replay sockets okay??

The highbeam does go off immediatly so I can just flash the lights.

Cheers, David

shawn71

Post by shawn71 » 27th March 2017 - 7:27pm

Chances are one of them is the flasher unit for indicators, it will click when indicators are on. The other should click when changing between dipped and main beam, assuming that is the same set up is on type 3s beetles and Type 4s

Could easily be an earth fault?
'70VW 411LE 2 Door Saloon, '71 Beetle and '78 Late bay

TheLettingsKid

Post by TheLettingsKid » 27th March 2017 - 7:37pm

Hey Shawn,

Great - it seems to be the one on the right then! Not sure how to get it off though.

How would you check for an earthing issue? 100% classic car newbie here!!

Cheers, David

TheLettingsKid

Post by TheLettingsKid » 27th March 2017 - 7:47pm

Yikes - that doesn't look good. I think I found the issue!

miketyp3

Post by miketyp3 » 27th March 2017 - 9:12pm

That's the one!
Plug in vw relays have the same pin arrangment, so the one they sell for beetles will fit.
The only earth's are the ones that all the lights share and one for the high / low beam switching.
If the side lights work and the high beam flasher works then it sounds like they're ok.
Mike

miketyp3

Post by miketyp3 » 27th March 2017 - 9:21pm

I just noticed your relay has 5 pins. Normally they have 4, so I think that might be the wrong one anyway. Not that I think it's the reason it's failed, just don't panic if the replacement only has 4 connections - that's normal.
Mike

TheLettingsKid

Post by TheLettingsKid » 28th March 2017 - 1:33pm

A big thank you to everyone for their help. I decided to brave fixing the relay myself having watch a youtube video. So I pried the top off and bent the little arm that controls the "switch". Put it back together and now it works! This video showed me what the relay should do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvICGsEHE2c

I have a new one on order which will make a good spare though.

Love having a car that even I can fix 8)

shawn71

Post by shawn71 » 28th March 2017 - 6:39pm

Well done! Most things are pretty straightforward when you find the problem...it's finding the problem that is often the hard bit
'70VW 411LE 2 Door Saloon, '71 Beetle and '78 Late bay