Engine part identification

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
DownLow

Engine part identification

Post by DownLow » 30th March 2017 - 8:44pm

Good evening all - so I've been routing around the engine bay whilst sorting out a heater problem and noticed something that looked out of place, some copper pipe. I'm not much of a mechanic so just wondered if someone could tell me what the copper pipe does.

TIA Paul

purplepeter

Re: Engine part identification

Post by purplepeter » 30th March 2017 - 10:09pm

It's a bodged up Breather
Normally You'd have a rectangular black box there with a hose to recirculate vapour through the air cleaner
#29 on this diagram http://www.hallvw.clara.co.uk/type3/T3pbo/T3pb1-60.htm
Presumably whoever fitted the carbs would have done it

DownLow

Post by DownLow » 31st March 2017 - 8:51am

PP - many thanks for the explanation. Now if i'd had done it that would have been a bodge, but as is I think it's a tidy alternative :)

Any downsides from original? I think the carbs were fitted when it was imported to the UK as I assume it was originally FI, which may explain why there's no choke.

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 31st March 2017 - 10:09am

The original had provision for relief of excess crankcase pressure, which Yours doesn't, but it'd be a lot of work/effort to reinstate one (an afternoon of your time) Personally, I prefer stock anyway.
I would query where that aluminium ducting pipe on rhs of fanhousing goes to, as it's normal to blank off the air outlets when fitting an aftermarket exhaust
There is a complete breather listed in the for sale section on behalf of a former type 3 owner who's Emigrating