Stabiliser re-dimpling

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
Chino

Stabiliser re-dimpling

Post by Chino » 9th April 2017 - 5:26pm

Well I've adjusted my upper arms numerous times now, only yesterday using Peters technique involving hammer and wood to make sure the bar is in position. Followed guides on here and the technique in the brown Bentley before re greasing the beam. Unfortunately I still can't eliminate the play on the near side upper arm, which can be felt as a lightness of the back end on left turns.
It's worth noting when I got the car the arms were very loose and had been for a long time I suspect. I'm wondering if this has elongated the dimple on nearside of bar, giving me play.
Time to pull the bar, flip and re-dimple? If so, any tips on the process?

Chino

Re: Stabiliser re-dimpling

Post by Chino » 9th April 2017 - 5:33pm

Just browsing the Bentley again, it has a note to check the setscrew, as it calls it, on the upper left torsion arm. I'm guessing this would the the one that locates into the dimple on the bar?

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 9th April 2017 - 10:24pm

Yes, and it's got to be worth checking that it's intact & hasn't lost it's tip- it looks much like a valve adjusting screw, with a machined nose that locates into the dimple.
I had thought I might try a spacer under the adjusting screw on the top arm to see if that would give more adjustment, just as a means of delaying the inevitable nasty job of a beam rebuild

Chino

Post by Chino » 9th April 2017 - 11:42pm

Thanks Peter I'll get the setscrew out to examine after work one night this week. The adjuster screw on the drivers side (off side), feels like it's adjusting fine with a fair bit to go, I'm merely tightening until the lock tab is finger tight, then fastening the locking bolt and lock nut above it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a loose or damaged setscrew being my culprit!

Chino

Post by Chino » 10th April 2017 - 3:10pm

Right, plan of action tonight. Get the car up on axle stands on the beam, wheels off to allow access, blocks of wood beneath hubs to simulate car being on its wheels. Slacken off lock nut on passenger side, check setscrew. If all is good, re-fasten setscrew on passenger side, tighten lock nut. From here on in, carry on adjustment under driver side as per usual, top bolt and lock nut freed off, lock tab pried up, bolt adjusted, lock bolt and nut tightened, adusting bolt nipped slightly then lock-tabbed down.

Only question I have, is there way to try to make sure the stabiliser is in the right position for the setscrew on the passenger side to meet up with, without pulling the arms?

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 10th April 2017 - 7:26pm

I'd suggest sticking a small phillips down the hole & wiggle
I think you can go fairly tight on the adjuster bolt- You'll feel when it bottoms out/stops moving

Chino

Post by Chino » 11th April 2017 - 9:25pm

Finished tonight. Dimple/set screw seems ok, carried out adjustment, just went slightly tighter til axial play was no longer evident. Took it for a spin, seems a lot nicer behaved, tucks its back end in a lot better :) steering feels slightly light but I suspect I just need to drop tyre pressure down a psi up front as very little freeplay :)