More help please!!!!

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
Aircooled Johnnyo

More help please!!!!

Post by Aircooled Johnnyo » 17th April 2017 - 6:15pm

Righto, here go's.....
72 Fasty was fi, now with twin weber ict's, new Pertronix SVDA dizzy, Flame thrower coil. Car's been off the road sine 1991, I have been restoring for 4 1/2 years, including complete engine rebuild. i.e. I've never had this car running yet. It now runs but certainly not well. Have set and checked timing, carb settings etc. I have now discovered that the thermostat rod has somehow become unattached, I will be stripping the o/s tinware to sort out but could this affect the running? Also there are 2 breather outlets that go no where now, see picture. Where should I connect these 2 now or should I blank them off? Would these affect the engine running..... Aaaaarrgghhh!!!

Thankyou!!

John

Chino

Re: More help please!!!!

Post by Chino » 17th April 2017 - 7:39pm

Mines an ex FI car I think, let me go see if I can see on mine what is what.

Chino

Post by Chino » 17th April 2017 - 7:50pm

Not much help until I can get the car jacked, but the pipe from the bottom of the breather is connected up behind the fan shroud somewhere. My flat part of drive is blocked now but I'll jack it this week to have a look.

The rear bumper is off to the left and you can see the pipe there heading down just next to that wire.

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 17th April 2017 - 7:55pm

Tell us that's not actually Your engine?
The top breather hose ought to go into the air filter- I wouldn't block it off

Chino

Post by Chino » 17th April 2017 - 8:03pm

It needs a good steam clean Peter, but yes top one to air filter and has a lower one heading down to block.

Aircooled Johnnyo

Post by Aircooled Johnnyo » 17th April 2017 - 8:14pm

Peter
I have those fairly nasty round pancake air filters..... Nothing to connect to

John

Editor

Post by Editor » 17th April 2017 - 11:53pm

Well, someone on here must know if there's another way to get round that one. The stock arrangement uses the induction system to remove crankcase pressure and burn off oil fumes and any blow past. The crankcase doesn't have a rear seal, just an oil thrower thread which winds any oil leakage back into the sump when the engine turns. If you don't have a means of venting the crankcase, you may well end up with oil being forced out of the rear of the crankcase, which ends up in the fan housing. The older engines had a breather which vented directly down onto the road; you can see that in the parts book pics at http://home.clara.net/hallvw/type3/T3pbo/T3pb1-31a.htm number 8. You've got the twin hole breather box, like number 9, though that shows a relief valve too, which I don't think we got in the UK. I've not pulled that cap off to see, in case it doesn't stay down when refitted.

At worst, run a breather hose from the spigot on the side of the breather box down to vent on the road. That should avoid disasters due to crankcase pressure build-up.
Just a note, the breather box has a threaded collar with two slots. It can be very hard to remove, though there is a special VW tool that should work.
You don't need to remove the box, unless it is badly blocked internally. If the plastic caps tend to be pushed off by crankcase pressure, warm the cap with a hair-dryer, or carefully with a hot-air gun, and spread the lugs a bit - I used a suitable round ended broomstick when I did my larger one. The smaller one has never popped up (I think it's only on the FI models).
Dave.

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 18th April 2017 - 4:33pm

You can quite easily drill the top cover or baseplate of the pancake filter to allow You to fit a compression fitting with a stub of pipe.
My exclamation wasn't at the state of Wills Engine bay, it was the fact that John's photo showed a FI engine with half its fanhousing missing

Chino

Post by Chino » 18th April 2017 - 4:49pm

Lol my guilt at not cleaning my bay shining thru there! I even ordered a load of degreaser!

Aircooled Johnnyo

Post by Aircooled Johnnyo » 18th April 2017 - 9:06pm

I should think so to Will, a disgrace! ;) Peter, that photo was taken about 3 years ago, it's changed a bit now:). The compression fitting...... any ideas where from? I have also discovered another breather outlet at the back of the near side head, do the same and connect to the nearside filter?

Chino

Post by Chino » 18th April 2017 - 9:20pm

Might not be of use here, but on other vehicles when I've fitted aftermarket induction kits I've used breather filters on breathers, would those be of any use here? They can be had quite inexpensively.

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 18th April 2017 - 10:00pm

It depends on the size of Your biggest drill bit John! 15mm plumbing compression fittings from any diy store, if your bits go that big, or something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8mm-Compressi ... XQzopRyDBp
where the 8mm bit would go into the filter & the 15mm end would accept a short length of water pipe (which fits onto a 1/2" hose
or this might do it neatly http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8mm-Compressi ... xyrUZRywHi

Aircooled Johnnyo

Post by Aircooled Johnnyo » 18th April 2017 - 10:18pm

Cheers Peter

sparkywig

Post by sparkywig » 19th April 2017 - 1:16pm

Or you could fit these.

https://www.vwheritage.com/ac1019164-br ... r-cover-pr

I've got them on my bus engine.

Aircooled Johnnyo

Post by Aircooled Johnnyo » 19th April 2017 - 1:27pm

Cheers Sparky

I will look into these

John

Aircooled Johnnyo

Post by Aircooled Johnnyo » 25th April 2017 - 7:51pm

Soooo. Just to clarify.... The outlets from the cyl heads vent to each of the air filters and the outlet on the breather tower vents to atmosphere via a downwards hose.

John

Aircooled Johnnyo

Post by Aircooled Johnnyo » 25th April 2017 - 7:57pm

Soooo. Just to clarify.... The outlets from the cyl heads vent to each of the air filters and the outlet on the breather tower vents to atmosphere via a downwards hose.

John

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 25th April 2017 - 9:41pm

I can't comment on the Rocker cover vents - I don't think they were ever fitted as standard, unless FI cars had them?
The breather tower, if it's got a downpipe fitted, then that vents heavier particles downwards to atmosphere ( the cause of the classic vw oil drip) & the hose at the top takes the lighter particles (Vapour) to recirculate into the induction system (ie into the air filter to be burnt off in the mixture)
Inside the tower is a spring & sometimes a block of foam.
Personally, unless someone can say the rocker cover vents are necessary, I'd be thinking of simply changing the rocker covers for stock items.

Aircooled Johnnyo

Post by Aircooled Johnnyo » 26th April 2017 - 1:00pm

Thanks Peter

Attached is a better picture of the breather vents (Hopefully). As you can see they come out of the head rather than the rocker covers.

What do you reckon?
Also Peter, I pm'd you on Monday ref the vent flaps, spring,c clip.

Cheers

John

Editor

Post by Editor » 27th April 2017 - 1:01am

US spec cars had those cylinder head vents on the '72 and '73 cars to meet the Californian emission regs (X series engines) - they were much more concerned with that side of things - even had charcoal-filled canisters to absorb the petrol fumes in the tank breather system. I don't know if it was only California cars that had the X engines, but they had the toughest anti-pollution measures. All the USA and Canada Type 3s from '68 were FI.
Dave.

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 27th April 2017 - 9:43pm

Every day's a schoolday, But as it's a newly built Engine, I'd be inclined to just blank off those Cylinder head vents. The breather tower ought to vent into the induction system as previously described.

Your bits are in a jiffy bag on the Dining room table- This week I've been rushing around- might get it in the post tomorrow if You're lucky.