Throttle not returning to idle?

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
Chino

Throttle not returning to idle?

Post by Chino » 1st May 2017 - 9:39am

I noticed yesterday on the run back from Stanford Hall that my throttle would not return to idle when releasing the accelerator. This actually proved a nice form of cruise control on the way through the m6 average speed sections as it sat quite nicely at 50 in fourth.
I'm going out today to clean and grease my pedal assembly etc, and oil my carb linkage. I check the cable was moving freely upon returning home and removed my mat at a services on the journey in case this was the culprit.
If none of the above work I was thinking it could maybe be my return springs weakening? Or maybe carb inlet gaskets, as it only seems to happen after a motorway run?

Editor

Re: Throttle not returning to idle?

Post by Editor » 1st May 2017 - 12:45pm

Maybe the warmth of a run dries out the old grease on the cable? WD40 squirted down the conduit, maybe?
Dave.

Chino

Post by Chino » 1st May 2017 - 12:55pm

Editor wrote:Maybe the warmth of a run dries out the old grease on the cable? WD40 squirted down the conduit, maybe?
I'll give it a try. I've currently got the fpotwells stripped down looking at the pedal assembly, it appears to be missing a circlip securing the arm for the throttle cable to the pedal shaft, so I'll get one of those as it was allowing the shaft sideways play which could contribute? The cable promptly fell off but luckily it didn't disappear into the tunnel!

Editor

Post by Editor » 1st May 2017 - 12:58pm

Certainly could have been the main problem. Any part of the shaft not being rubbed would have surface oxidation, so it it moved a bit, it could bind slightly.
Dave.

Chino

Post by Chino » 1st May 2017 - 1:06pm

I've ordered the missing items along with a spare throttle cable(I'm currently without), I'll report back once all is assembled as it should be.

miketyp3

Post by miketyp3 » 2nd May 2017 - 9:25am

I had something very similar on the way back from Ninove. It turned out to be the carb linkage rod locking nuts weren't tight and while one of the rods got longer it held the other carbs throttle off the stop.

Worth checking anyway...
Mike

64 1500S Notchback - RHD Sunroof
66 1600TL Fastback - Pigalle Interior
67 T346 Karmann Ghia - RHD Sunroof

Chino

Post by Chino » 2nd May 2017 - 9:37am

Thanks Mike, I shall investigate.

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 2nd May 2017 - 12:16pm

I'm glad other people have experienced that.... very embarrassing when it happens in a town centre

Chino

Post by Chino » 5th May 2017 - 6:32pm

Still working on this btw, have the circlip now just need another pair of hands to reconnect the accelerator cable. I have managed to squirt wd40 into the tube though, feels like it's moving smoother already.