Outer window seal/scraper

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
Chino

Outer window seal/scraper

Post by Chino » 14th August 2017 - 6:07pm

Currently mine has recently developed this appearance:

I've read a few old threads which seems to suggest direct replacements are not available at the time, just wondered if anyone knew if that has changed at all?

Chino

Re: Outer window seal/scraper

Post by Chino » 15th August 2017 - 10:59am

I imagine I'm looking for something like this?

https://www.vwheritage.com/311853322-tr ... ight-62-74

s.unsworth

Post by s.unsworth » 15th August 2017 - 2:35pm

Got mine from vwispwest.com They are perfect direct replacements. I wasted a lot of time trying to fix my original ones by making new stainless steel backing strips. My Rubbers and the bright metal trim were re usable just the mild steel backing strips were rusted through. Gave up in the end and bought new.

Chino

Post by Chino » 15th August 2017 - 3:19pm

Many thanks I shall take a look. Are there other parts that are recommended to be changed at the same time, or can it be changed without too much dismantlement?

s.unsworth

Post by s.unsworth » 15th August 2017 - 5:27pm

From what I remember it's Interior Door Handles off, Door Card off, Drop Glass out.

Just looked them up on www.vwispwest.com $65 each but the Shipping cost may be prohibitive ? I bought everything I needed from them for my Type 3 Rebuild in one order so it was all sent together.

You may find that the Metal Channel with Rubber Strip to hold the Drop Glass to the Window Regulator has rusted enough to need replacing. I had to get a new one for one side but t'other was fine.

I think someone came up with some new Rubbers you could rivet on to the metal strips. Can't remember the details. May have been from a Type 2 then cut down ? Anyone ?

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 15th August 2017 - 10:07pm

Buy some felt channel clips in advance Will- They always seem to break on removal, Also consider the felt channel itself, though if You're careful its re-usable
I fitted a beetle scraper, after removing it from it's ali trim & refitting to My original trim, but frankly, it's crap- rubber is too soft & doesn't actually touch the glass or serve its purpose
I have recently seen/compared Type 2 Outer scrapers & they seem much better
You might also need/be wise to acquire some of the trim clips (Its the narrow version, not the wide)

Chino

Post by Chino » 16th August 2017 - 8:19am

Thanks guys, I've been in touch with ISP (I suspect that will be the same parts T2D have), I might just have to take the hit and make a day of it with the disassembly :)

s.unsworth

Post by s.unsworth » 16th August 2017 - 11:30am

Thinking about it isn't it 1/4 light out as well to do the job ?

Steve

Chino

Post by Chino » 16th August 2017 - 11:43am

s.unsworth wrote:
16th August 2017 - 11:30am
Thinking about it isn't it 1/4 light out as well to do the job ?

Steve
If that's the case I may as well see if I can source a replacement for that too, it's looking quite old and dry now.

Chino

Post by Chino » 21st August 2017 - 9:09am

Just to update I'm in touch with ISP about sourcing the various parts(I'm after a few other bits so may as well do a bulk package). My drivers side window is marked from a rivet by the looks of it, has never bothered me enough to change previously, but if I'll be stripping and changing all the perishables etc. it makes sense now is a good time to 'make right'. So, if anyone has a nice drivers side window spare, please let me know :)