412 diagnostic

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
bfr123

412 diagnostic

Post by bfr123 » 20th August 2017 - 8:20am

Hi Guys,
Got a problem with my 412 and just asking if anyone on here has had a similar experience. Drove it to work the other day which is aprox 6/7 miles and at the last mile started to miss a little until I turned into my works when it cut out completely. Tried to start it but battery seemed dead as it was just a click when turning the key.
Left it at work and took a charged battery to it the next day but before I fitted it I thought I would try it and low and behold, it fired up as if nothing was wrong. Started to drive back home and again about 2 miles from home cut out. Same as before, just like the battery is dead when trying to restart. I put the charged battery on which I took with me and it gave the same symptoms as if the battery was dead.
Got it recovered back to home and again this morning tried it with a known good battery but still the same as if the battery was dead.

Anyone come across this scenario before??
Brian

1972 412 LE 2 Door Sedan (taxed tested used)
1979 VW Micro Bus (taxed tested used)
1975 VW Micro bus Auto (deluxe model with steel sliding sun roof) Just building it back up.

richtbiscuits

Re: 412 diagnostic

Post by richtbiscuits » 20th August 2017 - 5:13pm

Hi,
Can't say the exact thing you describe has happened to me but it sounds like an electrical fault to me. Some time ago I had the experience of my beetle cutting out seemingly at random. Turned out to be a bad earth in the engine bay, the wires were connected but there was some corrosion at the connection. Cleaned up the connection and problem was gone.
Recently I had a problem with my good lady's Focus. It just stopped starting. It was fine when parked up then next time starting there was nothing, just a click on turning the key. Fully charged battery made no difference. Checked all cables and wiring but nothing there. Eventually put a rubber handled screw driver across the connections between the live feed and starter motor itself thus jumping the solenoid on the starter. Started first time after that and has been okay since. I decided it must have been a sticking solenoid on the starter.
I could be miles off the mark but I wonder whether you might have some similar problems, likely related to a bad earth somewhere.
'72 412 LE Variant
'73 412 LE Variant
'83 1200 Beetle

bfr123

Post by bfr123 » 20th August 2017 - 8:42pm

thanks for the advice, its definitely worth checking out
Brian

1975 VW Micro bus Auto (deluxe model with steel sliding sun roof) Just building it back up.

bfr123

Post by bfr123 » 24th August 2017 - 9:20am

Hi,
Mystery solved, the battery which I thought was good isn't, put new battery on and fired up. Reason for failing was alternator belt snapped.

Thanks for your response
Brian