Door hinge welded bracket bent

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
Joe_bury

Door hinge welded bracket bent

Post by Joe_bury » 22nd August 2017 - 5:25am

Hello been a while since I've been on the forum safe to say I've missed it.
Just seeing if anyone has had much experience in taking off type 3 doors. My drivers door on my early fast has always had trouble closing smoothly. The bracket (which is welded to the car that the hinge screws into) is bent out which is causing the door to hit at the top and frame. Just seeing if I removed the door would it be difficult to straighten out that bracket myself? Is there an easier solution?
Thank you
Joe

miketyp3

Re: Door hinge welded bracket bent

Post by miketyp3 » 23rd August 2017 - 1:33pm

If its just the bracket then it should bend back as long as there is not too much damage to the base of the A post.
The 2 brackets should be parallel, so quite easy to determine where it should be.
The adjustment on the nut plate should help align the door if you are left with any lateral error after its bent back.
Mike

64 1500S Notchback - RHD Sunroof
66 1600TL Fastback - Pigalle Interior
67 T346 Karmann Ghia - RHD Sunroof

Joe_bury

Post by Joe_bury » 26th August 2017 - 12:10pm

Thanks Mike. Hopefully won't be to hard to bend back once door is off. Not sure best way possibly either with a breaker bar or heat and bend. Need to be done drives me mad the struggles I have closing from the inside ha

Editor

Post by Editor » 27th August 2017 - 7:22pm

If you get to see some of the old vehicle production films, some of them show a fair bit of brutality in getting panels to fit properly.
Dave.

Joe_bury

Post by Joe_bury » 28th August 2017 - 1:12am

Ok I won't stress to much about appling a good amount of force. It's not far from straight so shouldn't need much to get it back into place.

miketyp3

Post by miketyp3 » 28th August 2017 - 8:59am

Like Dave said, They were pretty brutal putting them together.
If its not much then you may even be better leaving the door attached.
It sounds like it may have been caused dropping it off the jack with the door open and it catching something.
The easiest fix would be to apply the opposite force to bring it back.
An old work college told me how they set TR7 doors by jumping on the inner door panel - he said you could hear the spot welds popping!
Mike

64 1500S Notchback - RHD Sunroof
66 1600TL Fastback - Pigalle Interior
67 T346 Karmann Ghia - RHD Sunroof

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 28th August 2017 - 10:16am

Just to add My twopenneth..
I'd suggest taking reference measurements before You start & maybe have an assistant with You to assist
A big adjustable spanner & possibly a scaffold bar or similar ought to do the trick
The metal is jolly thick & there are multiple layers, as Dave & I found recently when trying to cut the doors off a square.

Joe_bury

Post by Joe_bury » 29th August 2017 - 4:42am

Thanks Mike and Purple.
Have attempted to put down pressure on the door before to try get some sort of movement however wasn't keen in putting in to much force at the time, but this makes me feel a bit better about it. Will give it a go with door on I only need 2-3mm however taking the door off will proberly be on the cards. Have to open the window and push down to close it from the inside :D