1972 Squareback Door Hinge Pins

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
Newport1139

1972 Squareback Door Hinge Pins

Post by Newport1139 » 5th September 2017 - 4:53pm

I am needing to remove the pins on the top and bottom door hinges due to the top hinges being froze up. They are the (2 bolt hinges). I am curious do these knock out from the top of the hinges or the bottom of the hinges. Hints i am need to the type 3 world! Also if i need to get new hinges where do i get them from?
Thanks,

Editor

Re: 1972 Squareback Door Hinge Pins

Post by Editor » 13th September 2017 - 1:59am

Try putting some penetrating oil under the cap of the hinge (if there's still the plastic cap on there. It can be surprisingly effective. Keep working the door open and shut - there's a lot of leverage on it. Unless the hinge pin or hinge drilling is badly worn and allowing the door to drop, it will probably be fine once the corrosion works out. ISTR I used a mix of light oil and penetrating oil.
Dave.

miketyp3

Re: 1972 Squareback Door Hinge Pins

Post by miketyp3 » 13th September 2017 - 5:01pm

I have a few NOS outer parts (the inners are part of the door) somewhere, but I need to find them - not sure when I'll get chance.
Check there is room for the pins to come out top down / bottom up as that would be easier if you plan to punch them out.
If you do, make sure the door is well supported, the force needed to punch the pin out is more than enough to do some damage elsewhere.
Someone was hiring out a removal tool on ebay, might be worth looking into.
Mike

64 1500S Notchback - RHD Sunroof
66 1600TL Fastback - Pigalle Interior
67 T346 Karmann Ghia - RHD Sunroof