Engine Wiring

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
Dexter611

Engine Wiring

Post by Dexter611 » 17th September 2017 - 4:20pm

I have a 1973 1600cc Fastback and I need to connect all the wriring back up to my engine, it was disconnected when I got the car so I don't know how it was connected before. Does anyone know where all the wires go or live fairly local to Surrey/Middlesex where I could look at how yours is wired up? I've looked at wiring diagrams and worked some of it out:

I have one set of wires:
Thick red/white - Goes to D+ on generator.
Thick black - I'm thinking goes to + on the coil?
Thin black - I think D+ on the coil?
Thin brown - I think D- on the coil?
Thin green - I think DF on the coil.
Thin red - ?
Thin black/green (hard to tell) - not sure but it does reach the oil temp switch?

The other set of wires:
Thin red.
Thin black.
No idea where they are meant to go.

I'm thinking there should be a wire for the choke and one idle solenoid.

The distributor has two leads, red and black which will go to the + and - on the coil.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

broady_6

Re: Engine Wiring

Post by broady_6 » 17th September 2017 - 4:43pm

should help you out. Although it doesnt cover everything, it will get you connected up and to a running point. It will also eliminate most of yours wires and terminal. So any that are left over should become obvious. D+ and Df are on the dynamo not the coil. The coil will have +, - and then HT out.

As standard they had an oil pressure sender on top of the oil cooler. If you have a temp sender as well, it will be after market so wont be a standard colour.

It sounds like your distributor has electronic ignition, and i assume you have a twin carb engine, with stnadard solex's? If thats the case there should be a black wire that runs from the fuel cut off solenoid to the choke, to the + on the coil, to the choke on the other carb and then cut off solenoid.

Hope this helps.
The sultan of swing

gerrygerbil

Post by gerrygerbil » 17th September 2017 - 5:16pm

Same position as you . Is there two bigger wires going to the coil white and black . I have a green and grey ? Then on the other side yellow and red and a black with spade connectors on both ends

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 17th September 2017 - 9:48pm

gerrygerbil wrote:
17th September 2017 - 5:16pm
Same position as you . Is there two bigger wires going to the coil white and black . I have a green and grey ? Then on the other side yellow and red and a black with spade connectors on both ends
If you are running points and condenser then a green wire from the distributor will go to the - side of the coil. The otherwise on the - side of the coil isnt relevant as its for the plug in diagnostics. Then the + side will have a black wire which is 12v from the ignition switch. Then another black wire which connects to both chokes and fuel cut offs. And if your gearbox has it, another wire which connects to the nose of the gearbox for a reverse light sender.
The sultan of swing

Dexter611

Post by Dexter611 » 18th September 2017 - 6:40pm

Thanks Broady, I meant dynamo not the coil regarding the D+ and DF terminals. It must be the oil pressure sender the black/green goes to.
It does have electronic ignition, it has standard twin solex's, that explains the fuel cut off solenoid, choke set up, I will have to take another look for the black wire.
Still seems to be a few wires I can't see on the diagram, a couple of reds and a black.
I don't seem to have a white and black wire Gerry or a green and grey or yellow and red. I do have a a bigger black wire that looks like it goes to the dynamo. I've not found any black wires yet with black wires with spade connectors on both ends, it could possibly be the choke wire that Broady was talking about?

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 19th September 2017 - 8:21pm

they are likely to be part of the diagnostic circuit. I will take some photos of my engine tomorrow evening if that helps you?
The sultan of swing

gerrygerbil

Post by gerrygerbil » 19th September 2017 - 9:05pm

got dynamo correct . wires to choke ok and solenoid ok distributor green to coil . red and yellow have removed have taken a black and white to one side off the coil not sure about this .i under stand the yellow dot numbered now they relate to the big plug

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 20th September 2017 - 9:52pm

Sorry slipped my mind this evening! promise I will tomorrow. Yes that's the diagnostic plug. Pretty irrelevant these days. if you've got power to the coil, chokes and fuel cut offs. A wire on the oil pressure sender and a correctly wired dynamo that's all you really need.
The sultan of swing

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 24th September 2017 - 9:25am

Bloody hell I am rubbish aren't i! Excuse the tatty state of my loom. Ive done myself to show what goes where.

The red wire on the oil is nonstandard and its for my reversing lights so ignore that. Much like the white with green stripe. that doesnt go anywhere.

This is the correct colour for the oil pressure sender wire.

The sultan of swing

Editor

Post by Editor » 4th October 2017 - 6:41pm

With a '73 there may be lots of thin wires to the diagnosis socket that aren't needed any more, including a thick red which comes from the battery, and was used to spin the engine over remotely to get an idea of the compression. That was handy for hot-wiring the motor! Just tape any bare ends off if you find them.
Dave.

Dexter611

Post by Dexter611 » 5th October 2017 - 12:34am

I got the engine wired up and got it started but unfortunately it's not running well, compression is 130psi on cylinders 1 and 3 but 50 and 70psi on 2 and 4 so the engine is out now...