Throttle cable

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
packers1712

Throttle cable

Post by packers1712 » 26th October 2017 - 8:12pm

Can anyone suggest a supplier for a good quality throttle cable, I purchased one from GSF about 2 years ago and it snapped on me at the weekend, I was hoping for a bit longer than 2 years! Does anyone know if the Heritage one is good quality?

Doug.

eagle

Re: Throttle cable

Post by eagle » 27th October 2017 - 9:50pm

I've just removed one from my chassis and that had been going for seven years. I've also got a spare but I won't need it now. I'll find it for you if it helps.

Editor

Post by Editor » 28th October 2017 - 1:56am

The multi-strand ones go for years. I don't think I've ever had a Type 3 one break. Check there's nothing fouling it. I don't think you can over-tighten them without ending with the carb off the stop, but there is a procedure to adjust the clamping position. You need to check that you can get full throttle without taking up all the cable movement. Maybe the cable was still under strain with throttle pedal fully down.
Dave.

packers1712

Post by packers1712 » 28th October 2017 - 4:42pm

The one I fitted was a universal one and the cable has snapped at the pedal end right where the nipple and pedal join, I’ve noticed that some sites are advertising specifically RHD cables my car is LHD so I’m wondering if the cable run is a bit arduous at the pedal putting undue stress on the soldered joint of the nipple. If there is enough room I might create my own cable securing device, and if it’s successful I’ll post some pictures.

packers1712

Post by packers1712 » 12th November 2017 - 7:25pm