Autobox problems

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
Skinner4

Autobox problems

Post by Skinner4 » 8th December 2017 - 8:20am

Hey guys new to the type 3 scene so not too clued up at the minute and never having an automatic before this is past me. It's a 72 1600 auto but when it's put into drive the engine looses power, chokes and it doesn't really go anywhere. Anyone know what I'm looking at here? Fix yourself or get to a garage? Also anyone recommend a garage to do work on these?

Cheers

mjrpoulton

Re: Autobox problems

Post by mjrpoulton » 8th December 2017 - 8:41pm

Could be lots of things if its a carb engine, since many aspects are linked in terms of vacuum, idle speed and carb settings.

Before assuming the box is at fault you need to make certain the ignition system is spot on including correct timing, distributor advance system is working and no leaks on the balance pipe and feed to the modulator valve on the box. Both carbs need to be clean, no blockages, full squirt from the accelerator pumps and no wear on the throttle shafts. Its not particularly complex, it just needs to be worked through methodically. Check the box ATF level is correct according to procedure with warm engine running after shift through all gears. Check for ATF in the vacuum pipe to the carbs in case the modulator valve is leaking.

If I had to guess that if the engine runs OK in N but bogs once under load I would suspect a carb issue part blockage in the idle or accelerator circuit on one or both sides. With a manual you can compensate with more throttle but you don't have that option once you put the box load on, which will knock the revs down 150-200 rpm from idle with no load! Idle speed in N should be 900-950 (850 is a bit low in my experience).
Mark
1975 412LS Variant (built 9/73)
1972 411LE 2 door
1968 type 345 auto
1967 type 344
1972 type 145KG (type3 engine)