Gunson carbalencer

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
Joe_bury

Gunson carbalencer

Post by Joe_bury » 19th March 2018 - 9:26pm

Hi all,
Just seeing if anyone has a picture of useful tips on the best way to adapt a gunson carbalencer for our solex carbs.
Thank you

purplepeter

Re: Gunson carbalencer

Post by purplepeter » 19th March 2018 - 9:52pm

Cut the top off a road cone or other suitably shaped funnel!

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 19th March 2018 - 10:22pm

I seem to recall a 500ml drinks bottle is about the right diameter, coke or spirite ect
The sultan of swing

Joe_bury

Post by Joe_bury » 20th March 2018 - 2:47am

Great thank you will check out all options here :)

Editor

Post by Editor » 27th March 2018 - 1:16pm

I use a section of the large rubber petrol hose with the carbalancer, as It fits the carb tops nicely. However, the owner of my previous twin carb Variant soldered small tubes into the air filter tops above the carbs, sealed with tyre-valve caps. I made a simple U-tube manometer from clear plastic tube, with a bit of paraffin in the bottom. It does the same job as the carbalancer but both carbs can be done together, and under normal operating conditions.
You can check the balance at idle, and as the rpm is increased through the rev range. I found it made a huge difference to engine smoothness, and is easier to use than the Gunson device, as you don't need to remove the air cleaner and throttle rods etc. Much cheaper, too!
Dave.

Joe_bury

Post by Joe_bury » 28th March 2018 - 10:30am

https://postimg.org/image/qyen5i3if/
Thanks for advice Dave, will look into a twin meter in the future will be more accurate for sure. Came up with this for the time being with a road cone fits like a glove very happy with it. Thanks again