Indicator Lamp Position(s)

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
s.unsworth

Indicator Lamp Position(s)

Post by s.unsworth » 23rd March 2018 - 6:02pm

O.K. I know this is the Type 3 & 4 Club but please can anyone tell me the Correct Positions On the tops of the Front Wings for 1957 - 1963 Beetle Front Indicator Lamps ?

When it had the “ Body Off “ rebuild I foolishly had “ USA Style “ Headlamps fitted. They turned out to have rubbish chrome, so now I’ve got new Hella Headlamps and 1957 - 1963 Hella Front Indicator Lamps to go back on. I would like to get them on in the correct positions, if anyone can tell me how to measure that up please ?

On a related subject, when you fit the Halogen Upgrade Bulbs instead of the old Tungsten type, are you supposed to remove the bridge piece thingys from the middle of the Reflectors please ?

purplepeter

Re: Indicator Lamp Position(s)

Post by purplepeter » 23rd March 2018 - 7:30pm

Can't You just find the original holes in the wings?- scrape off the underseal & look for signs?

s.unsworth

Post by s.unsworth » 23rd March 2018 - 8:24pm

Pete, Might work but I don’t know. The Beetle is a 1966. Don’t know if the later inficators were in the same position as the 1957 - 1963. On photos they look further forward and closer in to the 1/4 Panels to me. Looked at new Wings On Line to see if that might tell me but they come without Indicator holes. Probably because not everyone wants them ?

s.unsworth

Post by s.unsworth » 23rd March 2018 - 9:29pm

Found the Front Indicator positions now on thesamba.com

Drawings, measurements. No problem.

Now please can anyone answer the question of the Headlamp Reflectors when using the Halogen upgrade Bulbs ? Should the “ bridge piece thingys “ be removed for that ? Sorry. Don’t know what that bit is called but it hides the front of the Bulb, so the light goes to the Reflector. I have some old Sloping Headlamps that had Halogen Bulbs in them. That part of their Reflectors has been removed.