engines

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
shorty

engines

Post by shorty » 4th June 2007 - 5:06pm

hi
can a 1600 or 2000 bus or beetle engine be used as a replacement if i change all the cooling and tin ware over a mate said as long as its a as case its easy does anybody know anything
jay

Editor

Post by Editor » 4th June 2007 - 8:03pm

I was trying to think of the little things that need doing - provision of oil filler/dipstick tube, blanking Beetle dipstick tube, rear mounting (if yours is double-joint axle), different size oil-cooler studs. There are a few other things I think, but I can't remember all the details - maybe others here have done it.

For a 2 litre bus engine, you will need mods to support it as the bus hangers are different.

shorty

engines

Post by shorty » 5th June 2007 - 9:36pm

hi
thanks for that, seems theres more to it than i thought is there any other way around it ?
is there any other engines that fit ?
maybe people could come up with other suggestions ?
can you get the engines any where ?
thanks
jay

Editor

Post by Editor » 5th June 2007 - 11:03pm

Type 4 engines fit, but there's an even bigger list of things to do!

I wouldn't say using a 1600 Type 1 engine would be that hard. On a new recon one it would probably invalidate the guarantee, but I'm not sure you had that in mind.

Dave.

subimanx

Post by subimanx » 6th June 2007 - 3:42am

I'm in the process of putting a 2L bus engine into my 69 411.All tinware needs to be changed and a 215mm flywheel must be used to fit your box (if it is manual).The engine support bar off the old engine MUST BE USED and spaced out to line everything up and to clear the case.The dipstick and filler hole in the 2L case needs to be blocked off and the breather on the top is used to fill the engine with oil.A hole needs to be drilled into the RHS top of the 2L engine to fit a dipstick if you want to check oil (like Porsche 914). It's not really that hard once everything is measured up and the motivation hits you... :D

miketyp3

Post by miketyp3 » 6th June 2007 - 10:20am

All Type 1/2 1600 based engines will require modifying in some way.
Some recons / new units are based on universal cases, so have provision for the Type 3 rear mount and oil filler.
Everything else will require more serious modifications.

Other than that it is the second hand market I'm afraid.

Mike.

shorty

engines

Post by shorty » 7th June 2007 - 3:23pm

hi everyone
thanks for that,why do you have to move the oil filler and dipstick what gets in the way ?
when drilling the case do you have to split it as the shavings might end up inside?
seems it might be easier to go down the rebuild option
jay

subimanx

Post by subimanx » 7th June 2007 - 11:08pm

Hmm....OK,I'll ask.What car is this for????? I was assuming it was for an early 411...Type 3's are different again,but it can be done..

miketyp3

Post by miketyp3 » 8th June 2007 - 8:01am

Sorry, I got my wires crossed :?
Thought you were talking Type 3's... :oops:

Mike.

subimanx

Post by subimanx » 8th June 2007 - 11:30am

The engine support gets in the way(it doesn't fit) with the 2L dipstick/oil filler setup.You don't need to split the case to drill the hole.Just remove the bottom plate which is directly underneath where you are going to drill.You could shove a small piece of plastic tubing up there to catch any metal drillings,which is what I intend to do.It is all a relatively simply transfer.If you have the time to pull off all the tinware and swap it over you only need to block of the filler hole to get it all back in and going (and change the flywheel/clutch).The top part of the solid mound needs to be spaced out 1.5 centimeters and the lower bolts 2 centimeters for the engine mount to clear the housing and be back to where it would normally be with the stock engine.I used washers to do mine as it was easier to get the measurements right.Next time I will make up some alloy blocks as I know how much they need to be stepped out now..You then fill it from the top with 3.5 liters with a new filter.To the right of the breather the case has a shoulder which is where the hole needs to be drilled for a dipstick to be fitted.Shove something in the hole and mark it when you have added the correct amount of oil so you know where it is supposed to be to check it.I'll try and dig out some pictures to make it clearer.....
http://www.manxgallery.org/gallery/AS0051/Case_hole

http://www.manxgallery.org/gallery/AS00 ... n_shoulder

look on these links...sorry dunno how to add pictures..Check out my buggy while your there!! There are some 411 pictures as well......
http://www.manxgallery.org/gallery/AS0051

Editor

Post by Editor » 11th June 2007 - 1:28am

I've tried with your urls, but they need to be actual jpegs or recognisable image files rather than a website to post as pictures.

subimanx

Post by subimanx » 11th June 2007 - 4:13am

OK....I'm getting the hang of this now.......try this......

Editor

Post by Editor » 13th June 2007 - 2:23am

Yep - if you right click and look at properties, you can see the link the photo comes from. That's all you need link to to get the photo appearing here.