Wiring loom front end.

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
Lee Scott

Wiring loom front end.

Post by Lee Scott » 2nd June 2018 - 2:38pm

Hi guys.

Problem number #574.

I need to replace the front end of my loom. RHD variant 1970 chassis number is beginning with 360
I have found a guy called vwlooms. Has anyone had much experience with him? He sounded pretty decent.
He has a 68 fastback front end on US spec. Will this fit my square? Or should I be looking more for Euro spec?

Thanks.

broady_6

Re: Wiring loom front end.

Post by broady_6 » 2nd June 2018 - 5:33pm

There is a company based on the Lincolnshire east coast somewhere. They bought a complete 71 fastback wiring loom from me as a pattern. They were in the business of re manufacturing wiring looms. Might be worth a google.

In the mean time ill try and remember who they were

According to this https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt3.php

There isnt a USA spec 68
The sultan of swing

Lee Scott

Post by Lee Scott » 2nd June 2018 - 6:34pm

I may have misheard him? He said the Us spec looms were a couple of years behind the Euro versions? So maybe a 71 loom would be ok on US spec. Registration on mine is 70 so its more of a 69 I think. I may well Have all this backward. Ha

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 2nd June 2018 - 7:02pm

I guess it depends which bit you need, is it just front lights, horn, fuel sender? or all the under dash stuff too?

You probably wont have V2 as that's the dash fan

To be honest these looms are stupid simple, If it were you id just use that diagram above, take your time, buy a second hand loom from someone breaking a late car and just pull each colour out and add it into your current loom. Beetles, campers and type 3s of the same era all have the same colour wiring, so find any one breaking something and offer them a few quid for the loom so you've got some original colour wiring.

i can see how it seems complex but I rewired a beetle and felt like a rabbit in the head lights, once I had the colours memorised it wasn't that painful
The sultan of swing