Ignition/starting issue

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
Clobots

Ignition/starting issue

Post by Clobots » 8th July 2018 - 5:36pm

Hi everyone, I've got an ongoing non start issue with my 62 notch. It's still 6v and has had the ignition switch bypassed so I have a toggle switch and a push button for ignition and start.

More often than not when I press the button the car does not start, I hear a click most of the time from the solenoid, the dash lights will dim and the wiring to the switch gets warm.

My boyfriend changed the starter motor bush in the gearbox and examined the starter whilst it was off - it appeared to have next to no wear and be in good order.

Following the bush replacement the issue went away entirely for a few weeks but has now returned as bad as before.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to what may be causing the issue? It's appears as though the new bush has worn out in a matter of weeks.

Thanks in advance for any help!

broady_6

Re: Ignition/starting issue

Post by broady_6 » 8th July 2018 - 6:57pm

If the new bush has worn out so quickly then id have a guess that there is play in the starter motor causing the issue. Have you checked the earth connection on the gearbox? More critical that ever on a 6V system. I don't think your ignition mods are at fault as the starter is getting the signal from your press of the button.
The sultan of swing

Editor

Post by Editor » 8th July 2018 - 11:56pm

It's a pre-engage starter, which means that the motor turns slowly and winds the starter gear on a spiral thread until the gear engages with the flywheel ring gear, at which point contacts inside the solenoid engage to put the full starting current through the motor.
It may be the motor shaft needs some light lubrication to help it move the gear along it, or the solenoid main contacts aren't engaging. Since things got warm, I suspect something isn't sliding, but sticking. Try lubricating the bush, and the motor shaft. Resist the temptation to try out the starter on the bench as it needs the bush to support it. On my 6V starter the copper braid from solenoid to motor just crumbled away from corrosion. As suggested, ensure all the earth wires and connections are clean. Also make sure the battery is fully charged, and if it's the top-up type, that the electrolyte level is just above the plates.
Dave.

Clobots

Post by Clobots » 9th July 2018 - 10:41pm

Thanks, this give me plenty to look for and test. I'll let you know once I've had a look 😊