Fuel cap help

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
Kai

Fuel cap help

Post by Kai » 30th July 2018 - 11:57pm

Many moons ago, my car failed it’s MOT on the fuel cap seal being split. No worries, buy a beetle one, problem solved and got my MOT ticket, happy motoring.

Years on, now I’m older and wiser, it is blatantly obvious the beetle fuel cap is rubbish. Either the threaded portion is too long or the seal is too high up beyond the threaded part. Which ever the problem, it doesn’t seal. You can feel there is a gap between the seal and the tip of the tank filler tube.

Last time I drove my car i filled it up and I know I did half a tank on my way home. Haven’t used it in months and now it’s empty. Not at all am I stating it’s evaporated 20 litres of fuel but I know it wasn’t bone dry empty. I squeezed £48 into it which for me is a mega amount to get into it. Back home from the patrol station and I clearly have a wet front wing now.

Now I’m writing this clearly I’m going to go and have a measure of what I’ve got and come back with the results. Hopefully one of you knowledgable soles can compare your filler cap against what I’ve got.

In hind sight, should of kept my old filler cap and replaced just the seal.

broady_6

Re: Fuel cap help

Post by broady_6 » 31st July 2018 - 7:45am

I will measure up this evening If i can find which box Ive put it in!
The sultan of swing

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 1st August 2018 - 7:10pm

This is what ive got and its been leak free for 9 years

I never throw owt away from these old bangers, someone will have a use for it somewhere
The sultan of swing

Kai

Post by Kai » 1st August 2018 - 10:17pm

Im curious, mines only 30mm from the seal. However it has a clicky anti tightening system internal of the cap I’m thinking it’s binding now and the clicky bit is preventing it from winding down further. There is a good 10mm between the seal and the top of the filler tube.

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 1st August 2018 - 10:30pm

After market jobby? Could be the wrong thread. I'll check my filler neck.could be they were threaded different lengths?
The sultan of swing

Kai

Post by Kai » 1st August 2018 - 11:15pm

Think the thread is ok. I counted a pitch every 5mm same as yours.

Guess it must be aftermarket crap. Want to sell your one??? 😁

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 1st August 2018 - 11:30pm

I would, but then itll leave my car a bit leaky. Ive got a mate with a big stash of parts, ill see if hes got a genuine cap he will part with
The sultan of swing

Kai

Post by Kai » 1st August 2018 - 11:34pm

Haha no worries. I’ll have a search and see what I can find. Cheers dude!

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 2nd August 2018 - 10:31pm

Now then,

hes got this lockable one. Says he will take a fiver for it. And hes checked that it screws all the way into a filler neck. Guess youll be looking at £3-4 post

The sultan of swing

Kai

Post by Kai » 2nd August 2018 - 11:01pm

£10 all in then????

Send me the details. I’ll take it 👍👍

Kai

Post by Kai » 2nd August 2018 - 11:03pm

I’ve always thought they where metal caps. That looks plastic? Not that I mind. I’m half way through tank number two this week already. Have done maybe 300 miles though. Can always get a whiff of fuel when turning to the right.

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 3rd August 2018 - 10:16am

Yeah it is plastic. Im not sure if its genuine or not. I dont think VW ever supplied a lockable cap and the filler flap is supposed to lock. Ill send a PM now
The sultan of swing

Editor

Post by Editor » 6th August 2018 - 9:20pm

The screw petrol cap was fitted to '73, and late '72 Type 3s. I can't say whether the Beetle cap is the same as the Type 3, though I know the filler pipes have the same internal diameter, so I suspect they are the same.

While it's possible the fuel was lost by evaporation over a substantial time, it's worth checking the J-shaped vent hose . It frequently cracks and pours fuel out on left-hand bends. I would expect to smell the petrol if significant quantities were being lost, though.

My '71 Variant now has the screw cap, as I had to replace the badly rusted filler pipe, and the later one was all I had.
Dave.

Kai

Post by Kai » 9th August 2018 - 10:18pm

I already have replaced the J tube. I have also replaced the fuel cap surround rubber seal between the wing and fill tube which is already perishing 😳.

I received my new ( to me ) licking fuel cap. First thoughts it appears too big and rubs against the seal between the wing and filler tube....... whilst it’s on its way down and snuggly sealing up the fuel tank. So I’m happy, no more lost fuel. Also I’ve sorted my intermittent miss fire so I’m onto a winner!!!

Thanks all.

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 11th August 2018 - 10:03am

Sorry its not quite perfect, but at least it seals the tank now! How did you get on with the camper? Fixing them both in a week would be a winner!
The sultan of swing