No top end speed.

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
Rob 400e

No top end speed.

Post by Rob 400e » 5th August 2018 - 6:41pm

A bit of history..... 1700 fuel injected 411 le auto. Had the car 12 months only done local journeys, took the car to Tatton park so first time on the motorway... Not good would not go faster than 64 MPH that was pedal to the metal. Prior to the journey I've replaced the filter most of the fuel lines the plugs and it has good fuel. Drives great around town doesn't stall starts on the button..... Help!!!! Rob
Type 411 Le four door auto .

broady_6

Re: No top end speed.

Post by broady_6 » 5th August 2018 - 8:49pm

Always start with the basics, and be methodical. When you say filter I assume you mean fuel?

Ignition timing, have you checked it? Getting popper advance? When were the plugs, leads, cap ect last changed?
When were the valve clearances last adjusted?
The sultan of swing

937carrera

Post by 937carrera » 5th August 2018 - 9:53pm

Even simpler, make sure that you are getting full throttle when the accelerator is pressed.

Took mine to Croft yesterday for the Heritage meeting. Overtaking modern cars on the back roads, elsewhere 70 with not much more than a tickle on the throttle.

She's not running right on initial pick up, something for me to investigate.
David
1974 412LS Variant
1973 412LE 4 door Fastback / Saloon

Rob 400e

Post by Rob 400e » 5th August 2018 - 10:20pm

Thanks people, yes fuel filter. Ermm must admit it did not occur to me to make sure I'm getting full throttle on the pedal. Valve clearances no idea setting the timing again pretty clueless. I'm assuming because it runs well around town all is well on the timing front? Yes will check out pedal and possible adjustment, then step it up to the factory settings on timing and clearance, etc... Many thanks. One other point I asked a fella at Tatton if he had any ideas he thought maybe fuel pressure or lack of?

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 6th August 2018 - 7:39am

mr 937 is right, could be as simple as that.

Id never assume, the running around town is completely different conditions to hard motorway work. I could be a lack of advance. Give the throttle a check and then a full set up of the engine. Always check the valve clearances before anything else, and set them when the engine is cold (no running for at least 4 hour before hand) Once they are set then check the ignition points gap and then the dynamic timing, set it as per the part number of your distributor and make sure you are getting full advance.

If you can see the distributors part number I can get you the correct settings.

If that fails then we can look at fuel pressure.
The sultan of swing

Rob 400e

Post by Rob 400e » 6th August 2018 - 1:48pm

Thank you for all the advice I now know which direction I'm going. Will keep you posted.