Hard start relay

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
Jamesq123

Hard start relay

Post by Jamesq123 » 8th August 2018 - 10:28am

Ok so you might of remembered see saying about starting issues before...well I changed the ignition switch but it hasn't solved the starting issues..
These issues are..turn the key you get clicks but not starting. Some days she fires straight up others you have to kick start it by touching the starter motor wire (we have exposed a bit of wire then cover it up again with electrical tape.) On to the positive terminal of the battery. Then it will start!
I'm.hoping the hard start relay will help solve this. Anyone else use a relay in there 12v? I've heard it was normally 6v that had issues but 12v can aswell? Car is a '72 fastback.

sparkywig

Re: Hard start relay

Post by sparkywig » 8th August 2018 - 6:23pm

Sounds like your starter solenoid is the issue.
A hard start relay will make no difference if the solenoid is the problem.

Jamesq123

Post by Jamesq123 » 8th August 2018 - 7:23pm

What's the best fix for that?

937carrera

Post by 937carrera » 9th August 2018 - 9:26am

If it works with a direct cable to the solenoid connection then the starter is fine, it's the cable from the ignition switch to the solenoid that has deteriorated. Lots of micro breaks and corrosion along the length giving voltage drop.

A starter relay will solve that problem, because you will be running new cable to the relay and solenoid. Better just to avoid the complexity and run a fresh cable.

If you need to run a cable to the +ve on the starter motor, then that's the cable that has deteriorated and needs replacing.

In any case, make sure the connections on the battery, starter motor and engine earths are all in good condition before doing anything else.
David
1974 412LS Variant
1973 412LE 4 door Fastback / Saloon

mattjay1991

Post by mattjay1991 » 12th August 2018 - 1:08pm

I fitted a hard start relay to my beetle a couple of years ago after having the same problems you described. After fitting, I never had another issue. Started first time every time.

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 12th August 2018 - 8:21pm

As 937 has said, the relay will do the same thing as running a new cable. But its easier and one less thing to give problems in the future if you just put a new cable in. and easy test its to use a jump lead from the battery to the starter as a test. then turn the key and see if it starts any better.
The sultan of swing

Editor

Post by Editor » 15th August 2018 - 6:22pm

Look at http://home.clara.net/hallvw/starter.htm before doing expensive things like replacing the starter motor.
It's a common problem, may be helped by cleaning out and light lubrication on the starter shaft. I finally fitted a relay in the red cable from the front. There's a useful connector under the right front seat which you can separate to insert the relay (fitted onto the back of the rear seat bulkhead) with 12V feed direct from the battery. It's cured my problem starting for the past 20 years or so.
Dave.