Steering on low ffasty

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
Aaronslimvw

Steering on low ffasty

Post by Aaronslimvw » 11th August 2018 - 8:47am

Hey guys!

I’m currently building a 73 ffasty with air shocks and a 4” limebug beam etc, have already done the trackrod fflip conversion, and was wondering if i also need to run an extended pitman arm/quicksteer kit to avoid any bumpsteer issues.. anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks for any help in advance
Aaron

Aaronslimvw

Re: Steering on low ffasty

Post by Aaronslimvw » 18th May 2019 - 9:04am

For anyone interested, i removed the flipped tie rod kit as they fouled when the car was fully aired up. Reverted to the standard orientation. And no need for longer pitman arm or quick steer. Car drives just fine.

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 18th May 2019 - 11:02am

Thank you for closing the thread, it's always nice to see as many answers as questions
The sultan of swing

Kai

Post by Kai » 26th May 2019 - 4:10pm

When I had my beam removed/converted, the chap told me the beam created 18 degrees of bumper steer on full drop.

That’s quite a figure.

Needless to say drives much better now.

muddy

Post by muddy » 28th August 2019 - 7:42pm

Hi Aaron, really interested in knowing a bit more on your limebug front beam? How's the quality? Did you get it fully built up with leaves, bushes, grease seals all fitted?

Also what air shocks do you have (I've got monroe shocks) and what travel do you get from lowest to highest ride height.

Apologies for all the questions, but I'm looking at upgrading my front beam in the new year.
1971 VW Type 3 1600 TE Fastback. Body off Resto completed, now just bits and pieces and niff naff to do.
Volksworld Magazine featured car 2013
Instagram: @type3.fastback

Aaronslimvw

Post by Aaronslimvw » 3rd September 2019 - 10:50am

Hey muddy, mine was one of the first they did for the type 3. There fore it didn’t come without its teething problems. But all good now. Quality is great to be fair, and yes i did get it fitted with the bushes and titan through rods. I am also running the monroe airshocks, in my oppinion they work.. give around 5-6” of travel (can measure this if you really want the specifics) but are inadequate for the job in my opinion as they take way too much air to raise the car.. limebug do now offer a lovely looking new front bag/shock set up that i will look into getting eventually that raise the car with substantially less pressure so i’m told.
The only other thing i would like to mention is that i wish the whole setup gave me about 2” more lows.. even with 2.5” dropped spindles and “long reach balljoints” the balljoints max out before anything else fouls,essentially holding the car up.
Other options would be to have a chat with Max at Eva Resto, @maxisadogsname on instagram. He designed my rear bag set up. He has also come over the binding balljoint issue by fabricating his own beam so that it can be mounted 2” higher up in the car somehow. Not sure if any body mods are required to do this tho.. He also supplies a more robust front airshock. but he is very good at what he does and possibly cheaper than limebug.
Hope that covers everything! Happy to answer any more questions you have 👍🏼👍🏼

muddy

Post by muddy » 11th September 2019 - 9:09pm

@Aaronslimvw
Thanks.
I've been dropping Max at Evaresto emails regarding the front and rear. Seems to know his stuff. I saw one of the cars he has done at a car show on Sunday and it looked mental (might have been you?).
Hopefully, if the price is right I can get some work done front and rear. :)
1971 VW Type 3 1600 TE Fastback. Body off Resto completed, now just bits and pieces and niff naff to do.
Volksworld Magazine featured car 2013
Instagram: @type3.fastback

Aaronslimvw

Post by Aaronslimvw » 11th September 2019 - 10:27pm

Hey buddy my car is a marinableu fasty on bbs rs wheels. You may have seen jack’s yellow notch tho?
Yea Max deffo knows his stuff. He has also just got himself a notch, so i look forward to see how he gets on with that. If you want some pics or anything give me a p.m and i’l send you some.