Timing issues?

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
muddy

Timing issues?

Post by muddy » 15th October 2018 - 8:55am

I've been off line for a while, the Type 3 build really took a lot out of me and I had to walk away from it again? Having solved the brake issue, the car was ready to go on it's maiden voyage a few months back.
I hit 2 problems,
1. the rear suspension was too low to get off my drive :(
2. The engine started to cut out after about 30s-60s from starting. This was after us tweaking the timing so that it was as close to 0°TDC as possible.

Yesterday, I sorted the rear suspension, raised it up approx. 50mm. It obviously doesn't have the 'low' appearance that I want and need, but at least for the time being I should hopefully be able to get it off the drive.

We also looked at the engine problem. After a quick check, we found that the points had closed? So the engine didn't know where cylinder 1 was TDC so it wasn't firing on No.1 HT lead. We re-set up the points gap, Bentley manual says between .4mm to .5mm so we set it to .4mm. The car ran perfectly, but then once warm it started to splutter a bit and then just died. The engine would then re-start ok, but then would die 30-60 seconds later.
Initially we thought it was fuel, but pump kicks in ok, and if revs are held above 1000rpm, it doesn't cut out or die. So fuel is ok I believe.
We looked at the dizzy and points gap again and they had closed up again? not fully but not enough to not get a .4mm feeler gauge in.

Timing is set at 0° TDC as per the manual at idle and vacuum for a '71 FI 1600cc.

We suspect we have an issue with the timing, or a serious issue with the dizzy. I truly hope that the dizzy isn't knackered. It's an FI car so the dizzy is unique to these as I understand. Could this have anything to do with it? I have a spare dizzy (for an FI car) so may give that one a try when I look at the engine again. Going to step back again for a few weeks, still feeling depressed :(

Has anyone seen anything like this before with the points closing up? Is there a fix? Help.
1971 VW Type 3 1600 TE Fastback. Body off Resto completed, now just bits and pieces and niff naff to do.
Volksworld Magazine featured car 2013
Instagram: @type3.fastback

937carrera

Re: Timing issues?

Post by 937carrera » 15th October 2018 - 8:19pm

Points closing sounds like the securing screw is not gripping and it gradually closes with engine rotation. There should be one or two thin washers in there I believe.

As to setting points, one of the things I still do imperial for: 15 thou which is just a smidge over 0.4mm
David
1974 412LS Variant
1973 412LE 4 door Fastback / Saloon

muddy

Post by muddy » 15th October 2018 - 9:34pm

Thanks 937carrera

I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a serrated washer (or any washer) under the screw for the points, so it's possible the plate could move I guess.

I'll double check and give it a go.

They are new points, I've also read I need to add a bit of grease on the lobe to reduce block wear on the points. Do I'll do that too.

Many thanks.
1971 VW Type 3 1600 TE Fastback. Body off Resto completed, now just bits and pieces and niff naff to do.

937carrera

Post by 937carrera » 15th October 2018 - 9:47pm

Does this help ?

Other years available :)

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/typ+ ... 905-93000/
David
1974 412LS Variant
1973 412LE 4 door Fastback / Saloon

muddy

Post by muddy » 16th October 2018 - 7:34pm

937carrera wrote:
15th October 2018 - 9:47pm
Does this help ?

Other years available :)

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/typ+ ... 905-93000/

Editor

Post by Editor » 7th November 2018 - 12:43am

Check the distributor cam is not scored; use some grease or Vaseline on the cam (or better still, the special cam grease that was often supplied with Bosch points). If the points have a white plastic heel, look for some with a brown or black heel material. If the screw is not tightening, you may need to change the baseplate or find a screw which is a bit bigger and re-tap the hole.
Dave.