Fastback Rust in Rear Roof under air vents

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
Dexter611

Fastback Rust in Rear Roof under air vents

Post by Dexter611 » 31st January 2019 - 12:27am

I have rust holes, both sides in the rear roof panel below the air vents on my '73 Fastback; I believe there is a drain tube that gets blocked that causes this. I want to repair the rust holes, but want some advice on the best way to carry out this repair. I am considering cutting the rusty metal out but I don't know what is behind it or whether I might accidentally cut into the drain tube or some other inner structure that could be difficult to rebuild?
The other option is to try and lead load or weld up the holes and possibly seal up the vents to stop water from going down the drain tubes anymore. Has anyone else carried out this repair or has any advice?

broady_6

Re: Fastback Rust in Rear Roof under air vents

Post by broady_6 » 31st January 2019 - 7:48am

You are unlikely to cut into the drain tube, as you say its rotten.

Scroll down in my thead here and theres some photos from when i repaired mine.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3094&start=425#p65349

And if you look earlier in the thread, theres a repair to the otherwise too. I replaced the train tube with hose pipe as I expect it to last just a long
The sultan of swing

Dexter611

Post by Dexter611 » 31st January 2019 - 11:01pm

Thanks Broady, the photos are really useful, I can see what is underneath the panel now. It looks like it would be best to cut it out like you did. The hose looks a good idea. Have you finished replacing this panel on yours now?

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 1st February 2019 - 7:43am

No problem, the hose is a smaller diameter, to get it to fit is ended up putting the end in boiling water and then forcing a big drill bit or bit or bar into it to stretch it out a little so it would fit over the stubs from the original pipe work, then as it cools and shrinks its is a few tight fit and wont come off! Yes im in the rebuild phase now. in the middle of sorting out my wiring loom. Two more months and i should be back on the road
The sultan of swing

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 2nd February 2019 - 5:19pm