71 squareback air box leak?

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
Jared1969

71 squareback air box leak?

Post by Jared1969 » 3rd April 2019 - 11:58pm

Hi I know this has been covered before but could do with some help. I recently removed my air box and cleaned out untold amounts of crap from within and blew out the hoses. It rained today and I still have a leak. My fan is making a hell of a racket and one of the cables from the switches is snapped so do have an add on wanted at the moment for a complete init with fan and controls. My seal I had was a decent one with no cuts or damage. It was a poxy job and now I am a bit pissed off it’s still
Leaking. I am about to replace the rubbers on the front screen and the rest of the car. However if it still leaks after this I was going to go in from above and check the top part of the fan once I have cut away under the bonnet. Has anyone gone this far. Part of me is scared to do this as I am not sure how bad the damage is and whether it is then beyond my welding skills to replace. I’m almost getting to the point of covering the vents which I really don’t want to do. Help would be appreciated. Thanks

broady_6

Re: 71 squareback air box leak?

Post by broady_6 » 4th April 2019 - 8:25am

Type 4?
The sultan of swing

Jared1969

Post by Jared1969 » 5th April 2019 - 12:44pm

No type 3

Apologies

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 5th April 2019 - 12:55pm

Sounds to me more like you've got the standard issue rot then. I wouldn't expect a windscreen rubber to fix it. Have you got rust on the blister under the bonnet? Did you look at the panel from the underside when you had the box out?

Some useful photos in these threads, have you got any photos for us?

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3094&start=225#p57913

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6588#p33645
The sultan of swing

Editor

Post by Editor » 6th April 2019 - 12:16am

It's certainly possible that water is leaking in past the screen rubber. It can build up quite a pressure with 18" head of water.

The tray below the bulge can corrode, and also rust can get between the bulge and the front of the tray - spot welds pull when the seam rusts, and you get dimples in the outer part.
Remove the top to get access to the airbox from above; it's the only way to get at the tray easily. Use a hacksaw in a padsaw handle (or thin cutting disc?) to cut a thin slot that you can tack back again.

If you have a fan it's likely to be an L model. or LE if injection.
Dave.