Type 3 tinware

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
sparkywig

Type 3 tinware

Post by sparkywig » 14th April 2019 - 5:16pm

I've been going through boxes of parts to try and assemble a full set of tinware for my stroker engine.
The only guide I have is below.
I'm probably not fitting heat exchangers, so don't need the fresh air tubes and mixing pods which I have.

I have a full set on the engine in the car already, and a set on the temporary engine (which is different?), and pieces in the following pics.

Temporary engine. No means of attaching "spectacle" spark plug shrouds and no holes for mixing tubes, and sled tins needed some modification to fit around flywheel casting.

RHS

LHS

Pulley shroud and "cool" tins

Cylinder head tins without extensions.

Assorted sled tins, one is half the length?

Can anybody tell me why they're different, and what they should fit please?
Thanks.

broady_6

Re: Type 3 tinware

Post by broady_6 » 14th April 2019 - 5:43pm

The blue tins in your first photos have been modified at some point in their life. Likely due to tin worm. Someone has just done a basic sheet metal repair.

The chopped cylinder head tins may well have been used on a beach buggy.

The half length sled tin is from a type 1/2 engine. Looking at the photo, its hard to tell but all of those sled tins look to be type 1/2 though it may just be the perspective in the photo.
The sultan of swing

sparkywig

Post by sparkywig » 14th April 2019 - 5:53pm

OK, thanks. Not sure about the blue ones as they have no signs of any modifications, especially around the spark plug/inlet manifold opening. Are FI tins different?
That seems plausible about the smaller head tins, and also means all my sled tins are Type1/Type2 as they don't easily fit at the flywheel end due to their shape.
Looks like I'm on the hunt for a full set as the head tins are perforated.

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 14th April 2019 - 6:19pm

sparkywig wrote:
14th April 2019 - 5:53pm
OK, thanks. Not sure about the blue ones as they have no signs of any modifications, especially around the spark plug/inlet manifold opening. Are FI tins different?
That seems plausible about the smaller head tins, and also means all my sled tins are Type1/Type2 as they don't easily fit at the flywheel end due to their shape.
Looks like I'm on the hunt for a full set as the head tins are perforated.
The blue ones looks modified too me. its just twigged. Its looks more like a pair of Beetle tin have been grafted on to replace the rotten outer edges and front face.

If youre getting rid of the those top tins. Im interested as im happy to silversolder them and have them powder coated. Unless you have a bash at that yourself?

I dont think the FI stuff is different as youve still got a twin port manifold and two spark plugs going in there. But dont quote me on that
The sultan of swing

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 20th April 2019 - 12:19pm

I have got a spectacle,

Already powder coated black too

The sultan of swing

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 20th April 2019 - 1:59pm

Just beware chaps- Type 3 Spectacle looks exactly like Type 25 ones but doesn't fit!, So don't count your chickens until you've checked that the buggers fit your Tinware!

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 20th April 2019 - 4:18pm

Top tip!

This is definitely a type 3 part
The sultan of swing

sparkywig

Post by sparkywig » 22nd April 2019 - 4:50pm

I need to modify the spectacle tins to fit around the IDF manifolds.