Connecting to new washer jets

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
Jamie814641

Connecting to new washer jets

Post by Jamie814641 » 21st May 2019 - 2:46pm

Hiya,

Can anyone explain how the heck I connect the washer fluid pipe on my 73 squareback? The nozzle is in place inbetween the grills but I can't see how the tube will get into the grill space and how you would then be able to connect it to the washer jets. There doesnt seem to be any obvious entry for the washer fluid pipe. And then whats the best way to get hold of the pipe to pull it through the washer jets hole! :paranoid:

Any info greatly received!

s.unsworth

Re: Connecting to new washer jets

Post by s.unsworth » 27th May 2019 - 3:09pm

Assuming it is a Type 3 we are talking about ? I’ve done it but don’t remember exactly how. You need to take the Washer Jet out of the hole to push the tubing on to the connection on the back of the Jet. If the Jet is old then it may break taking it out. There is a hole somewhere in the bottom of the fresh air box for the tube to go through, unless someone has welded it up or something. The Washer Tubing should run from the Washer Bottle up the Nearside of the Luggage Compartment. Through a hole under the Glove Box. Across under the Dash to the Valve on the Wiper Switch. Then from the Valve, Up under the Dash through the Fresh Air Box to the Jet. If the old Washer Tubing is still there it is easier to find than if it has gone. Think I may have attached new Tubing to the old and pulled it through.

Editor

Re: Connecting to new washer jets

Post by Editor » 31st May 2019 - 11:31pm

There should be a grommet on the underside of the dash where the tube goes. The nozzle has a plastic tang on one side and you push the nozzle to that side and lift up the other side a bit, which should release the nozzle. Feed some washer tube through. You'll need some stiff wire to hook the end of the hose and pull the end out so you can put the nozzle on. I thought there was something on the technical pages about this, but it seems not - probably in a past Newsletter.

See the photo of the later type at https://images.app.goo.gl/wNjPrk1UgcLS1Gsr5 which lets you work out which side has the plastic tang.

Edited 2/6/19
Dave.