Wing mirrors

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
muddy

Wing mirrors

Post by muddy » 19th January 2020 - 7:20pm

It's been on my to do list for awhile.

My wing mirrors are a bit floppy, so I ground down an 18mm spanner and filed it open until it fit (I think it may have been a 19mm nut but didn't want to butcher a usable spanner :nod: )

So I've removed the wing mirror, tightened up the 10mm nut that goes on the inside and refitted the wing mirror and tightened up. They are now both nice and tight.

The only sloppyness I've got is the horizontal left to right movement, I guess this is tightened by the dome nut at the bottom of the arm? Is there supposed to be a spring or something inside to act as resistance? I've tightened as much as I can but still loose.

Also, I'm baffled that the main wing mirror screws directly into the door with no gasket or seal? Paints a bit scratched up as a result. Seems the beetles do, and you can buy these separately.

Do the Type 3's need a seal too? If so, are these available separately or will a beetle seal fit?

Cheers guys.
1971 VW Type 3 1600 TE Fastback. Body off Resto completed, now just bits and pieces and niff naff to do.
Volksworld Magazine featured car 2013
Instagram: @type3.fastback

sparkywig

Re: Wing mirrors

Post by sparkywig » 19th January 2020 - 11:13pm

There should be a spring that fits above the dome nut, and yes, a flexible washer behind the mirror stops the paint being damaged.

muddy

Post by muddy » 20th January 2020 - 7:30am

sparkywig wrote:
19th January 2020 - 11:13pm
There should be a spring that fits above the dome nut, and yes, a flexible washer behind the mirror stops the paint being damaged.
Thanks, thought as much, I'll get a couple of seals ordered up then. Hopefully have a spring knocking about somewhere in the garage.
1971 VW Type 3 1600 TE Fastback. Body off Resto completed, now just bits and pieces and niff naff to do.

Editor

Post by Editor » 1st March 2020 - 1:04pm

The normal washer is white nylon - plumbing item maybe? The taper insert in the pivot usually clamps up OK. The thing to be careful of is the shaft which is cast and can easily be broken.
Dave.

muddy

Post by muddy » 23rd March 2020 - 4:57pm

Editor wrote:
1st March 2020 - 1:04pm
The normal washer is white nylon - plumbing item maybe? The taper insert in the pivot usually clamps up OK. The thing to be careful of is the shaft which is cast and can easily be broken.
:thumbsup: After my removal and repair (see build thread), they all seem pretty stable and secure now with no wobbling and movement. i used beetle mirror seals, seems to have worked a treat.