How can I improve my engine performance?

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
rocknrollpreacher1

How can I improve my engine performance?

Post by rocknrollpreacher1 » 27th December 2022 - 3:34pm

My '67 Square runs a 1955cc John Walklett built engine that apparently puts out about 100bhp. This may be an overly simplistic question - but how can I improve the performance of this engine?
What is your Red Indian name anyway?
'Running Mouth'? 'Sitting Down'? 'Talking Bollocks'?! :D

broady_6

Re: How can I improve my engine performance?

Post by broady_6 » 27th December 2022 - 9:28pm

We would need to know a little more about it first. What heads, what crank throw, what bore, what carbs, what cam, what flywheel? A few basics. Find a rolling road and simply have the fundamentals checked and a power read out, then, if there are any issues they might be able to rejet, adjust carbs and or alter timing. As a starting point.
The sultan of swing

jmarkha1

Re: How can I improve my engine performance?

Post by jmarkha1 » 4th January 2023 - 3:36pm

1955 is probably 76mm crank with 90.5 B&Ps. Should be a strong engine if tuned well. It may well have been built to provide torque and have modest compression and standard valve sizes - but equally it could be configured to provide more power at higher RPM - its really up to you how you want the motor to behave BUT theres no simple fix sadly - the motor will only work well if all the parts are matched - let us know what you want the motor to do and what you know about the current setup - 1955 in a square must be pretty decent though :-)
The variant Project