Beetle Tailpipes

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
s.unsworth

Beetle Tailpipes

Post by s.unsworth » 24th January 2023 - 5:37pm

Please can anyone give me a definitive answer on how to get our 1966 Beetle to make the correct Exhaust sound again ? In the USA they call it " Fweeming ".

I describe it as a sort of Whistling Pinging. The old Chrome Tailpipes made in Germany used to sound right. I tried Stainless Steel Tailpipes from GSF. They didn`t sound right, so I bought Stainless Steel ones direct from CSP in Germany. Still not right. On The Samba it says the Tailpipes need to have Internal Diameter of 20mm. Most current production aftermarket Tailpipes have larger Internal Diameters. There`s also a lot about the different Lengths that were used. At the moment I can find 245mm and 265mm NOS Chrome Tailpipes in Germany both with Internal Diameter of 20mm.

Any advice please ?

Steve

purplepeter

Re: Beetle Tailpipes

Post by purplepeter » 25th January 2023 - 5:45pm

Is it a genuine or aftermarket silencer?
I used to drive a Beetle & always ensured that both tailpipes were inserted the same depth into the silencer, which may or may not make a difference

kaddy

Post by kaddy » 6th February 2023 - 10:47am

I know that sound well, its a soft kind of whistleing sound that increases with acceleration, but not sharp and shrieking.
Its more associated with a correct setting of the carb than what tailpipes you have. I had it on a H30/31 single carb fitted to a vw beetle 1300 engine. When you had your engine setup ignition and timing, and carb well tuned, it was a distinct whistle.
I always knew that my engine was perfectly tuned when this sound was heard, it was a great indicator.Once you hear it, you are spot on.
I think the carb was a Brosol, probably not spelled correctly.

s.unsworth

Post by s.unsworth » 12th February 2023 - 12:08pm

Thank you for that. I`ve just put 2 NOS Chrome Tailpipes I bought from Germany on this morning. Disappointed yet again. May be try the Tuning route.

Thinking of a New / Reconditioned / Exchange Carburettor anyway. Its a Solex 30 PICT-2. Any recommendations please ? I have 2 spare ones of unknown state.

Steve U