Where to begin

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
Louie2shoes

Where to begin

Post by Louie2shoes » 24th February 2023 - 9:31pm

Hi everyone,

So, I’ve had my 71 Fastback for over a year now and in that time I’ve dismantled the front suspension, steering, etc, cleaning and painting parts as I go. I’ve bought a few replacement parts too, with a view to putting it all back together again and moving on to the rear. However, I feel a little lost and I’m not sure what direction I’m going in, so wondered whether those of you who are a little more experienced might be able to give me some pointers?

The car is pretty much complete but I have a list of what I believe I still need.There are a few areas that need welding (rear window sides, front valance) but generally the bodywork is ok (a few areas of filler here and there). Paint is heavily sun bleached (nice 👌), but needs resolving somehow. It’s still the original colour but has been resprayed at some point. It’s a non-runner but turns over. Interior is predominantly sun damaged (cracked dash and seat covers) but not awful.

I don’t want a show car. I’m happy with it looking a little shabby but there’s a fine line between shabby and sh*t. I will make a few modifications (lowered suspension and I have some nice Porsche wheels) but nothing wild.

Where do I begin?
Any particular order or sequence to doing things?
What things should I definitely do?
What things should I definitely not do?
Do I need to give myself some parameters? (I have a tendency to start fiddling with things and before I know it, I’ve done something I then regret!).

Really excited to be working on this car and confident to give everything a go, but right now, I’m spending most of my time just looking at it or potentially making it worse!

Please help.

L

broady_6

Re: Where to begin

Post by broady_6 » 25th February 2023 - 9:21am

It sounds like youve already begun.

If the interior is ok, the best thing you can do is take it out and store it somewhere warm and dry while you do the work. Then theres no risk of paint/grease/weling fire.

Do things in the order you see fit, some things are obviously like you have to take the engine out to take the gearbox out.

Get a good note pad and just walk round the car, prodding and poking, write down anything thats wrong. Usually rubber components needs replacing.

Have a read of some of the big build threads on here.
The sultan of swing

Louie2shoes

Post by Louie2shoes » 25th February 2023 - 7:18pm

Cheers Broady. Funnily enough, I read your build thread when I first got the car! I’m sure there are others that will be equally as useful though, so I’ll start there. I think the problem I have is that I start doing something and then move onto something else before I’ve finished or if I get bored! Just makes me feel like I’m not getting anywhere. Originally I was just going to do the bare minimum to get it road worthy and enjoy it but now I feel I’m further away from there than when I started. Guess that’s the nature of these things!

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Thanks

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 26th February 2023 - 9:32am

I would say go through the fuel system first- inspect everything, clean out the tank, replace filters & fuel hoses
Whilst the tank is out, check the hard brake lines in/around the master cylinder, then next job overall is to go through the braking system, again, inspecting & replacing, especially the brake flexys- if you don't know how old they are, just replace. Get the whole system sorted, then fill & bleed-Brake fluid is expensive & type 3's can be a pain in the bum to bleed, so sort it out once. I'd also whip the drums off to look at wheel cylinders.

Then you can look at electrics- at least get the battery fully charged or possibly replace- I know next to nothing about FI, but others here will guide you

Buy/read as many manuals as you can, certainly at least the Haynes & Bentley

This might help , Apologies that it's slightly out of date since M7 folded, But I'll get it updated in the next couple of months
http://www.vwtype3and4club.org.uk/forum ... =1&t=14670

As always, come back & ask if you get stuck/need guidance

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 26th February 2023 - 6:18pm

Peter is right, and one thing I would add, is flush the brake system and then bleed with dot 5. Its something I have been doing on a lot of classics in my care. It is very expensive but it will prevent all the issues we get with winter lay up and rusty sticky brakes.

And here is the ethanol proof fuel hose. Its been working well on the above mentioned classics for a few years https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/382955851220
The sultan of swing

Louie2shoes

Post by Louie2shoes » 26th February 2023 - 7:46pm

Thanks guys. This gives me a lot of reassurance that I’ve been moving in the right direction. I have already bought a new fuel pump and hose, as all that was very crispy! Same goes for brake lines. I also got a new master cylinder, callipers and discs but still need to get metal lines. Think I’ve pretty much got everything for the front now.

I’ve popped the back end up on axel stands this afternoon, so I can start pulling things apart at that end. I’ll start by replacing all rear brake parts, as that was all seized when I got it. Oh, and I have a Haynes manual, Bentley manual and one on rebuilding engines, so sounds like I’m more on-track than I thought I was!

Bigger tasks to do will be welding and trying to get the engine running. I suspect this may have been down to all the fuel lines being toasted though! Given all the rubber parts seem to be in this state, are there any engine parts you’d recommend replacing, other than fuel/vac lines, belts and HT leads?

Thanks again

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 26th February 2023 - 9:50pm

Make sure the fuel hose you got has some ethanol resistance.

Install a fuel filter in the line which runs along side the gearbox and change is annually.

If you can get the oil cooler ultra sonically cleaned, it will be worth every penny.

Change as many engine seals as you can, I would do a block split rebuild, just because you're thay far in and don't know the history. If you get it right now, it's unlikely it'll ever need to come apart again. Assuming you'll be a limited millage and annual oil change kinda guy.

Check fly wheel oil seals are a must. Which will mean you can check your clutch on the way in. Rocker cover gaskets and push rod tubes as a minimum.

You've got the right ideas
The sultan of swing

Louie2shoes

Post by Louie2shoes » 28th February 2023 - 9:27am

Thanks again Broady, appreciate the engine and gearbox suggestions. Slightly nervous about dropping the engine but nothing a few beers and an extra pair of hands won’t cure! Cheers for the tip about the oil cooler too. Not picked up on this in my research, so will look into that one. I know a chap that does media blasting so will see if he can do the ultra sonic cleaning for me.

Perfect! Good to know there is (virtual) help on here, should I need refocusing again! Thanks 👍

Louie2shoes

Post by Louie2shoes » 28th February 2023 - 10:42am

Oh, and thanks for the links. Never heard of Paruzzi before but seem to have a lot of stuff at reasonable prices 👌

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 28th February 2023 - 5:27pm

Paruzzi at the moment aren't doing parcel post (cheap) only ups (expensive)
Try these guys: https://www.mecatechnic.com/en-GB/vw-type-3-parts

I had a load of goodies recently from Mecatechnic, if priced up from UK suppliers it would have been £120, i paid £45 (£8 postage, arrived in 4 days) The range isn't quite as good as paruzzi though

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 28th February 2023 - 9:06pm

Where in the UK are you? if you are localish, then I dont mind popping round
The sultan of swing

Louie2shoes

Post by Louie2shoes » 28th February 2023 - 10:01pm

Aah man! Bit like ISP West postage. Shocking!! I’ll take a look at Mecatechnic instead.

I’m based in Oxfordshire (nr Abingdon). Haven’t seen any type 3s around these parts but then I’m not particularly active in any VW clubs.