Type 3 Auto Transmission Starter Motor

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
s.unsworth

Type 3 Auto Transmission Starter Motor

Post by s.unsworth » 11th March 2023 - 12:57pm

I have a vague recollection that a Type 3 Automatic Transmission Starter Motor can be fitted to other Air Cooled VWs.

Is that correct please ? Is it a straight swap ? I flattened the Battery on our Beetle a couple of days ago trying to get it to run on a supposedly Reconditioned Carburettor. Since then I`ve swapped back to the Original Carburettor and had it running after charging the Battery but it sounds like the Starter Motor is struggling or the Battery may be failing. I have the Battery and a Spare Battery on Charge to try. I also have a Type 3 Automatic Transmission Starter Motor that I keep as a spare for out Type 3 Auto.

I have read Dave Halls " Starter Problems Sorted " so maybe I`ll be trying that.

Steve U

broady_6

Re: Type 3 Auto Transmission Starter Motor

Post by broady_6 » 11th March 2023 - 6:26pm

As far as I know Auto and Manual starters are different across the aircooled VW range of vehicles.
The sultan of swing

s.unsworth

Post by s.unsworth » 12th March 2023 - 11:01am

I think we will find many suppliers list the Type 3 Auto Trans Starter Motor as a Heavy Duty Starter Motor for other Air Cooled Type 1 Type 2 Type 3.

Regards,

Steve U

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 12th March 2023 - 6:33pm

AH ok, I was looking at the parts manual, they looks physically different to me. But I never worked on an auto, so I dont know for sure.
The sultan of swing

PP

Post by PP » 15th March 2023 - 7:07pm

As far as I have read, you can use the automatic starter type 3 starter on the manual but not vice versa - an advantage is there is no bushing to worry about... they are normally more expensive to buy...

jmarkha1

Post by jmarkha1 » 17th March 2023 - 10:45am

auto starters are longer - theyre output was higher - i think they were fitted to type 2 buses as well as T3s. Modern hi torque starters for beetles are probably as powerful as the auto starters were though.
The variant Project

s.unsworth

Post by s.unsworth » 19th March 2023 - 6:52pm

Starter Motor did not want to come off the Beetle. When it finally did the Bush came out with it. Stuck on the Shaft. Have bought a new Type 3 Auto Starter Motor to put on. The Type 3 Auto Starter Motor I had kept as a Spare for our Type 3 may be refurbishable but when I started to dismantle it the threads one of the long screws go into stripped, due to corrosion of the alloy I think.

Steve U