Fuel pipe

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
purplepeter

Fuel pipe

Post by purplepeter » 30th March 2023 - 7:20pm

What do other type 3's have after the fuel pipe exits the back end of the floorpan? I've always had just a jolly long lenth of fuel hose running all the way to the engine bay
Do other people have a length of solid pipe over the gearbox? as Beetles do?

broady_6

Re: Fuel pipe

Post by broady_6 » 31st March 2023 - 7:14am

I still have a peice of flexi pipe, with a fuel filter in it.

The sultan of swing

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 31st March 2023 - 9:34am

Thank you! That'll do me
I've never quite been sure if it was a previous owners bodge, one of my own bodges, or a vw bodge

s.unsworth

Post by s.unsworth » 29th August 2023 - 10:03pm

Why the Filter ? There’s a Filter in the Fuel Tank Outlet and the Mechanical Fuel Pump.

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 30th August 2023 - 7:29am

s.unsworth wrote:
29th August 2023 - 10:03pm
Why the Filter ? There’s a Filter in the Fuel Tank Outlet and the Mechanical Fuel Pump.
The filter in the tank is very course, as these tanks age they rust and that can easily bypass that filter. It then also depends which pump you are running. My original pump died years ago and I have a non servicable more modern replacement. As such I dont know if it has a filter in, and even if it does I cant get at it. Plus years ago I had a string of running issues which were down to dirt in the carbs. So a filter prevents this happening again. :D
The sultan of swing

s.unsworth

Post by s.unsworth » 3rd October 2023 - 10:29am

I stick to Original Pierburg rebuildable Fuel Pumps. I have 2 brand new Type 3 Pierburg Pumps as Insurance for the future. I also have a brand new Type 3 Petrol Tank for the same reason. My Type 3 had a later aftermarket Pump on for some years but they do not look Original, so I Rebuilt the Original Pump using a Repair Kit. Used everything except the Valve that has to be penned in but it works.That is in use now. The Engine in our 1966 Beetle had a later aftermarket wrong Pump for use with Alternator, so I bought a Reconditioned Original Pierburg Pump from Germany. I tried to Rebuild another Original Pump for the Beetle but had no success peeping the new Valve into the top.

Steve U