Which Engine Mounts

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
xslatchem

Which Engine Mounts

Post by xslatchem » 11th April 2023 - 8:00pm

Hi All

Just after some advice/opinions on engine mounting, I have a 63 notch (completely stripped) which has been converted to IRS by the previous owner, this has been done by adding the brace mounts to the body of the engine bay, but not sure how well braced they were when installed. And then a IRS rear axel has been fitted.

I have managed to source a swing axle rear axle with gearbox horns which I was intending to convert to a IRS axle by fabricating the IRS pivots into it. (I personally prefer the frame horn type of mounting) I do not have the rear pin stabilisation bracket on the car.

So my question would be if I was to mount the engine and box on the frame horns, would this be enough to support the engine, (without the rear pin mount) meaning I can remove the IRS brackets that have been added to the car, or would it be better to use both mounting types together (not sure if these would work against eachother, or something different completely

Cheers
Chris

purplepeter

Re: Which Engine Mounts

Post by purplepeter » 12th April 2023 - 8:22am

I think its Either/or , not a combination of both!
possibly also depending on what gearbox you have & whether your engine has the support bar

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 16th April 2023 - 10:52am

Although not actually a help to you, I just came across this & thought you might like to see it, as it proves that the conversion to swing & irs isn't unheard of https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewt ... p?t=500599

My further thoughts are that the standard irs box isn't drilled to accept the rear rubber mounts, so you might have to do that yourself.
The type 3 engine is still a heavy old lump, so I wouldn't want to put all that weight on the gearbox mounts, so I still think you'll need to either reinstate the rear pin mounting or use the irs mounts in your car

xslatchem

Post by xslatchem » 5th May 2023 - 1:00pm

I’ve seen the conversion done a few times and have no issues in carrying it out, I guess it couldn’t hurt to run both types of mounting as they will both be attached with rubbers so shouldn’t fight against each other which vibrations etc, I just wanted to be able to mount the gearbox into the car independently of the engine as like you said it’s a heavy lump and I didn’t fully trust just the mounts in the engine bay

The rear engine pin from what I understand is just a vibration stabiliser and doesn’t take and load from the engine

I may convert the rear mounts to a bolt in system and then I have every option depending what is best to run
Last edited by xslatchem on 5th May 2023 - 1:02pm, edited 1 time in total.

Angelo Amato

Post by Angelo Amato » 5th May 2023 - 1:02pm

I have a late type 3 (IRS) to which I added an early (SA) sub frame that has had the IRS pivot brackets welded in. I also run the rear (late) mount bar.

I have a type 4 motor in it but same principle.

I'd recommend you run the rear support bar with frame horns also.

The late type 3 'box does have the holes for the rear rubber mounts, there are some natty steel plugs in the holes, just tap them out.

I have a picture but forgot how to upload on the forum.

Angelo

xslatchem

Post by xslatchem » 5th May 2023 - 1:07pm

Angelo thank you so much, that’s the exact information I was after, il leave it as is and run both mounts.

If you manage to upload the photos or if you don’t mind sending them to me if I DM you I would highly appreciate it