Max advance setting

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
kaddy

Max advance setting

Post by kaddy » 1st June 2023 - 11:14am

I am just doing a tune up after hitting the 1500 miles since the top end rebuild. All running well thankfully.
I need to refresh my foggy braincells. My engine is a 1641 cc engine number T 1069935, its has dual solex stock carburretors and an svda distributor. Dont ask me the number as I dont know at the moment. Vac from the can is connected to the left hand carb.

Quick question, do i disconnect the single vacuum pipe, and block the carb port, or do i leave it connected and then set max advance.

It was running a tad hot on warm days, and on inspection it seemed to be a bit far advanced, so tweaked it now with the pipe connected and its running at max advance setting when engine revs increased, nice and steady.

When i take off the pipe, it loses a good bit of advance obviously. I just wanted to double check with you knowledgeable guys for confirmation :D ;)

broady_6

Re: Max advance setting

Post by broady_6 » 1st June 2023 - 9:24pm

Take the pipe off at the distributor end and block. You dont set max advance, you set the timing with the engine at idle. With out knowing the number we cant be sure. Depending on which it will be set between 5 and 10c BTDC at idle. The weights and vac can then take care of the rest for you.
The sultan of swing

kaddy

Post by kaddy » 1st June 2023 - 11:25pm

Nice one, its now set at 7.5 degrees btdc and running beautifully with plenty of power. It was having an issue with starting when it was hot, but I think I have now narrowed that down to a dodgy ignition switch that I totally forgot to deal with months ago.........well I was having too much fun driving it at the time :D

Thankyou Mr Broady ;)

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 2nd June 2023 - 7:25am

Thats great news!
The sultan of swing

kaddy

Post by kaddy » 2nd June 2023 - 8:23am

On the ignition switch can someone tell me if its the same as a beetle switch. I know some suppliers are going to say" they are all the same"
But I would prefer to get that advice from a type 3 owners who knows whether they are or not.

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 3rd June 2023 - 8:44am

On a later model certainly, it's the same.
If you have a column mounted switch with a plastic multi plug into the back of it.https://www.gsfcarparts.com/928vg0040
Earlier ones are different

kaddy

Post by kaddy » 3rd June 2023 - 10:01am

Magic.
Would i be able to see the spade lugs from the back of the switch to double check what I have. Or would i ave to take it off to confirm my type.

Thanks for your speedy reply P.

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 3rd June 2023 - 7:32pm

Yep you can see them if you get under the dash
The sultan of swing

kaddy

Post by kaddy » 3rd June 2023 - 7:49pm

broady_6 wrote:
3rd June 2023 - 7:32pm
Yep you can see them if you get under the dash
Thats great, thanks for the headsup

Out again today for a drive and its amazing how friendly interested people are when they want to learn about the " fabulous car you are driving".. :D

Its a great buzz for them and me. Life does not get any better than driving a fastback :nod: