Help for a non member

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
broady_6

Help for a non member

Post by broady_6 » 28th October 2023 - 7:07pm

Hi,

I am so hoping you can help as I see you run a forum for advice and if I need to go via that, could you let me know how to do it.

My husband has a American imported 1970 type 3 1600 fuel injection square back that’s causing him some serious headaches.

It won’t start, its had a full service and drove home running lovely then wouldn’t start the next time we wanted to go out.

The mechanic came and had a look and said it could be the ecu unit.

Eventually found a company that looked at it and told us the aah component has been replaced and all the soldering done and returned it.

Yesterday plugged it in and it went to start for 2 seconds then nothing, just turning over, tried easy start and nothing.

Hubby is not a mechanic but has done a load of checks, checked the wiring on the fuse board, there is spark on all the spark plugs but they are dry, there is spark on the points.

Can smell fuel so checked the pump and there is fuel going in and coming out of both pipes and it primes on ignition and can feel by touch it priming on ignition.

Found a broken wire under the the throttle body so fixed it and then tried turning over hoping this was it and again the engine tried for a second and then just turning over so tried easy start again and no joy.

If you know anyone in the Suffolk or Norfolk area that has experience with this issue, or able to diagnose the problem, any suggests would really be appreciated as we are at a loose end and hoping soemone may be able to help as we don’t know what else to do, other than plant her up as a an expensive garden feature 🤣 joking apart we are desperate.

May thanks
Viv
The sultan of swing

purplepeter

Re: Help for a non member

Post by purplepeter » 29th October 2023 - 9:09am

Member or not doesn't really matter these days, so welcome Viv!
D-jetronic manual is here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/ma ... manual.php
I'm afraid I know next to nothing about FI & Our club resident expert is out of action at the moment, But I'll ask him to have a look at this when he is able.
What's your nearest town?- Norfolk/suffolk is a bit vague

If I were clutching at straws trying to get the bugger started, First thing to try would be to fully charge the battery (FI is notoriously voltage sensitive)
Then look for fuel delivery to Engine bay, check/change the fuel filter in front nose/wheel well, & visually check for extra fuel filters that may have been added by previous owners. Obviously not a sensible thing to recommend , but if it were me, i'd suck on the fuel hose in engine bay just to make sure that fuel can get that far
Next thing would be to check & clean both sets of points in the dissy (bearing in mind that the lower set are extremely difficult to obtain new, so valuable & worth being carefull. You mentioned a spark at the points? Is it big fat spark when points open? or just a small one?- Big would indicate condenser failure