hiya noob questions here

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
willriseley

hiya noob questions here

Post by willriseley » 14th August 2007 - 10:39pm

right hey everyone just gettin a late fasty soon and i have a few questions for you all

1. can a beetle beam be fitted so it can be narrowed or is there other ways of narrowing the front end?

2. how low can u get one and whats invoved (obviously springplates at the rear but the front im unsure of)

3.beetle/bus upright engines fit into the rear?(obviously losing the boot space though)

thanks and all answers will be greatly received thank you folks

Editor

Post by Editor » 14th August 2007 - 11:23pm

1. Possible - recent example on the forum.

2. Depends how much you are prepared to hack off the car, and if you don't mind wrecking the front beam. The torsion bar is splined so it's treated the same as the rear. Very common and easy mod, but does cause damage to the beam after a period in use.

3. They can, but don't expect them to last any time as the hot air (cooling air and around the hot exhaust) is drawn back into the cooling system.

willriseley

Post by willriseley » 14th August 2007 - 11:39pm

silly questio but why is the hot air drawn back in and is there anyway of making it cooler?

Editor

Post by Editor » 15th August 2007 - 1:00pm

The Beetle and Bus have a panel between the upper and lower part of the engine, and it seals to the body, so cool air is drawn from the vents above.

The Type 3 draws the cool air in through the trunking at the rear - keeps it separate from the air around the engine.

It is possible to adapt the case to work in a Type 3, but it may be easier to get the right engine unless you're planning to rebuild it first.

jabbo

Post by jabbo » 16th August 2007 - 10:55am

Hey Dude, the beam fitted to our Square was a 6" narrowed bug beam. I believe the beam on Pacey's Fasty and the T3D 'Squareblack' are also narrowed bug beams. It's not that difficult to do. Like I said, I'll try to make the meet this month and chat to you about it.