Flywheel oil seal

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
Panda Matt

Flywheel oil seal

Post by Panda Matt » 15th August 2007 - 8:44pm

Hi,

Just got back from my 1st show of the year, and I now definitely have an oil leak. 5ltrs of oil for 360 miles = problem.

I suspect that it's the flywheel oil seal:
  • *The oil seems to be coming from between the engine and gearbox
    *It's also coming out around the starter motor
    *The clutch is slipping...
As I understand it (please correct me if I'm wrong), the appropriate procedure is:
  • *Engine out
    *Clutch off
    *Flywheel off (using special tool or impact tools - no compressor, so special tool it is)
    *Remove perished seal
    *Fit new seal
    *Refitting is reverse of removal as they say.
So... Apart from replacing the clutch with a new one - which I figure I may as well do seeing as it's coming off anyway... is there anything else I can plan to do at the same time? Is there anything I need to be wary of or scared of? What clutch would you recommend?

Helpful replies to the barrage of questions are greatly appreciated!

Matt

Editor

Post by Editor » 16th August 2007 - 12:40am

Depending on year, you could have a diaphragm clutch or a spring one, and they use different release bearings. If the bearing feels rough, change it - may be included in a clutch kit anyway. Check the sleeve it slides on (diaphragm clutch) for wear or ridging. Put a little grease on it.

You need a flywheel locking system (proprietary type or angle iron with holes to match two of the clutch bolts), a 36mm socket and bar (3/4" drive is better than 1/2") plus a long hollow steel pole to get the leverage (something like 260 lb-feet).
Note which way the flywheel goes on the crank, as you want to put it back in the same orientation for balancing reasons. Make sure there are no rough areas - it may be the old seal was just tired. Make sure it goes in evenly, to the same position as the original.

Get some new clutch bolts - I had one break last time I did a Type 3 clutch.
Fit the pressure plate with any lightening holes opposite any on the flywheel.

You may take the opportunity to change the gearbox input shaft oil seal. It's not the easiest to get out - better not to change it than scratch the face removing it!

Inspect the clutch lever arm and wobble it for excess free play. Check the clutch lever return spring (around the operating lever on the outside of the box).

subimanx

Post by subimanx » 16th August 2007 - 5:06am

Wot he said.....just don't forget to instal a new "O" ring in the flywheel after you replace the rear main and make sure all the shims go back behind the rear main seal...