just bout a 412

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
Dub Owner

just bout a 412

Post by Dub Owner » 18th August 2007 - 7:12am

i pulled a 412 out of a junk yard the other day. it dont got keys but it has a title. it has sat for 17 years but it has potetial. i want to tear the FI out and i dont know if i have to bypass any compooters or a differnt fuel pump or what. FI and automatic cars are the worst cars for me to have. but this VW wouldve been crushed by now. also is there an easy way to pull the ignition lock out?
66bug
73super beetle
74 412

Editor

Post by Editor » 18th August 2007 - 6:59pm

Keys: these can be cut to the lock number - could be worth removing the door and tailgate locks to see if the number on each is the same, then taking a chance on the ignition being the same number.

The Haynes Type 4 manual says remove steering wheel, turn signal and wiper switches. to allow the ignition lock and switch to be removed.

On the Type 3 you push in the spring through the small hole in the side - don't know what trick you may need to get the ignition lock out from a Type 4, but it may be the same.

If changing from FI to twin carbs, the fuel pump needs to be suitable for carbs. Lots of people have trouble getting non-stock carbs working well. There is some skill in getting FI sorted out, but less to go wrong if it is, and usually the engine is more responsive with the stock set-up.

Dub Owner

Post by Dub Owner » 20th August 2007 - 3:52am

thanks. dont have a T3. i was going to put a 2 barrel progressive on it. i tuned the engine over by hand today for the first time in 17 years. so it sould run
66bug
73super beetle
74 412