Window scrapers

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
BTJustice

Window scrapers

Post by BTJustice » 29th August 2007 - 2:52pm

Im in the process of restoring my fasty after the bin lorry incident
(full resto thread here http://www.vwscotclub.co.uk/forum/forum ... p?TID=4502)

And as I am going for a full re-spray I would like to remove all the seals.

Sickeningly, the window scrapers on all 4 doors I have (2 new ones and 2 old ones) are perfect but from experience they dont stay that way if you try to remove them so I will need new ones.

I have heard a rumour that beetle door window scrapers can be made to fit a type 3.

Can anybody confirm this or am I heading down a blind alley?

Cheers for your help,

Dave.
I will finish it some day!!

Rust free imports direct from California;

www.route9autos.co.uk

The west of Scotland VW club.

http://vwscotclub.co.uk/forum/

miketyp3

Post by miketyp3 » 30th August 2007 - 8:36am

I used Beetle ones on my 64 Notch.
It's fairly easy to do, but it does require some reprofiling of the aluminium and the seal needs to be cut down slightly. From memory both rear corners need to be tightened up a bit and the front bits trimmed and reprofiled.
From what I hear they still fit better and require less rework than the repro Type 3 ones!

Mike.

Editor

Post by Editor » 30th August 2007 - 9:32pm

I removed my old scrapers, fabricated and rivetted new inner metal backings and replaced them after painting, and they were fine. Just take lots of care - don't leave it to someone who thinks these things grow on trees.
There's a description of this job in the Club Technical Handbook that every new member gets.

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 31st August 2007 - 11:35am

I still havent mustered up the courage to attack mine!
But one point i'd like to ask of Dave,..Where you say that you removed the remnants of steel mandrel from the rivets..how is this done?? I was thinking of removing the mandrels before use by just cutting the crimped end off,and using the rivets as old fashioned rivets that you peen over with a punch,am just curious about the idea of removing the mandrel afterwards?
cheers,peter

Editor

Post by Editor » 31st August 2007 - 12:31pm

Once the rivet is set, just punch back through the broken head, leaving a clean aluminium set rivet for flattening out to give clearance to the glass. It may not be essential, but they do stick out a bit I think it is easier to set the rivets first, but try the other way by all means.

I had an excited phone call from my wife who'd gone into Chew Magna the other day. "There's a yellow Fastback here - ODA something something something K!!".
I can't think who that was.

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 31st August 2007 - 3:29pm

..presumably she didnt see me walking to the petrol station then !!-that was when i discovered my fuel gauge error !but thank god for that parking space,and the cash machine,and the nice couple who stopped and asked if i was walking back to my car ,and gave me a lift back to chew magna.-i did briefly think of ringing you,but had convinced myself it was action that weekend,and that it would be a bit of a cheek anyway.

Editor

Post by Editor » 31st August 2007 - 10:18pm

If you had rung, and Anne hadn't yet set off, she could have brought you a can of fuel!

Still, you were indeed lucky to roll into a parking place - it's usually chock-a-block.

nitro_warrior

Post by nitro_warrior » 1st September 2007 - 1:29pm

Just been reading through your resto on the other forum, looking good Dave :thumbsup:
I do like a good resto :D

BTJustice

Post by BTJustice » 2nd September 2007 - 8:12pm

nitro_warrior wrote:Just been reading through your resto on the other forum, looking good Dave :thumbsup:
I do like a good resto :D
Cheers man, its coming along quickly now and I recon I will be onto body prep by next week.
If its ready I think I will show it at Bathgate. Either way I will be there with the club stall so look out for the finished car.
Dave.

www.route9autos.co.uk

BTJustice

Post by BTJustice » 4th September 2007 - 9:36pm

I managed to dismantle the doors tonight and I got the outer scrapers off undamaged;
They need a bit of work before they go back in but hopefully they can be fixed.
I will post here how I get on or follow the resto on the West of Scotland site.
Dave.

www.route9autos.co.uk

aircoolsteve

Post by aircoolsteve » 25th September 2007 - 10:05pm

hi. i'm going through a very similar resto on my 66 squareback at the moment and i have taken the scrapers off the doors on the car and another pair of doors that i have collected. they all came off ok with very minimal damage but most of the rubber on them has cracked and perrished.
i'm just wondering if there are some rubber bits from another model that i can rob to restore them as they would fit a lot better than bug ones or repro jobs come to that.
steve

Editor

Post by Editor » 25th September 2007 - 11:59pm

Camper rubbers are suitable when cut down a bit, and I've heard the 65-on Beetle ones are long enough too. They may appear from time to time as they were available as Type 2 spares - I've been dragging a pair to shows for a while now.

Better take a look to see if I've any left.

aircoolsteve

Post by aircoolsteve » 26th September 2007 - 8:27am

thanks dave. that would be very handy. i have quite a few inner rubbers as they don't tend to be out in the weather but no outer ones.
the other thing is that the gipper clips that hold the rubber to the door are a bit rusty and in some cases rotted away but i spose i can always rob them from a bug one.
steve

aircoolsteve

Post by aircoolsteve » 27th September 2007 - 8:27pm

also. if anyone has taken their scapers out and intend to discard them, keep any of the clips that are not rotten as i need them to restore my original ones. not the channel grips, i need the small ones that go along the bottom of the scraper and hold the rubber strip to the door. cheers. steve

type3willy

Post by type3willy » 13th October 2007 - 9:19am

For this kind of parts you can get them used but in good condition asking to Konrad Kölpin http://www.typ3-konny.de/

Good luck.
Where is the engine?