Beetle engine into type 3 ?

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
skutch

Beetle engine into type 3 ?

Post by skutch » 30th August 2007 - 9:58pm

So exactly what is required to fit the beetle engine into a type 3.Away from the obvious layout, does the block need any mods to it in anyway, only the oil dipstick goes in differently compared to the beetle engine so what else then.

Editor

Post by Editor » 31st August 2007 - 1:05pm

Not an exhaustive list, but the oil cooler studs need to be changed - you will need some that are M8 to M6 I think. There may or may not be mounting bosses/tapped holes for the fan housing and thermostat arrangement is a bit different.

The distributor drive needs to be turned to allow the distributor room to be adjusted correctly (there are washers under the gear - please don't drop them into the timing area!). The alignment is important - there is a retarded cam on the distributor shaft to help no. 3 avoid over-heating problems, so you can't just move leads round.

As you say, the dipstick arrangement needs consideration.

Umm - anything else guys?

Paul Knight

Post by Paul Knight » 12th September 2007 - 7:52pm

i put a bug 2007cc type 1 into mine without drilling the bottom of the case for the dipstick. in short, i welded an extension to the original type 1 dipstick and, with a little twist as you pull it out, it works ok. i now fill the oil through the plastic cap on top of the breather tower. it's slow going and far from ideal, but it saved stripping the motor to drill out the dipstick hole!
www.ultravw.com