Rear bootlid catch on late fasty

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
purplepeter

Rear bootlid catch on late fasty

Post by purplepeter » 31st August 2007 - 7:33pm

Just in case anyone else suffers what i've just experienced!
Went to get something out of the boot,pulled the lever and it just moved freely with no resistance.
removed interior trim panel,and ascertained that the nipple had parted company with the cable
Solution was to remove backrest of back seat,and the soundproofing behind it,in order to get access to toolkit in the boot!
Next was to remove left rear light cluster,to get at the cable guide tube,which i cut very carefully with a hacksaw blade,
Then pulled the inner cable out through the hole,and opened boot!
No sign of corrosion on the cable,so i'm happy to put it down to old age,but rather suspect it was caused by the M8 nut that i found under the catch mechanism,and may well have been causing unnecessary strian when i pulled the lever!

If anyones got a sure idea of which cable i should get from gsf to replace,that'd be handy,otherwise,I'll post the answer when i've been to gsf next week!

Editor

Post by Editor » 31st August 2007 - 10:05pm

Well done on getting out of an awkward predicament.

Is the length anything like the bonnet release wire?

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 6th September 2007 - 6:44pm

Ok,so good old GSF,dont have any bonnet cables in stock-not even watercooled!
So opted for a type 1 throttle cable,which turns out to be about 4" longer than you need
self explanatory technique,notable points being that i suspect theres meant to be a clip on the lever to prevent the nipple popping out every so often,and the cable is tightened with the bolt facing up through the hole in the catch,not down as would be easier.and blue brake hose fits over the guide tube very nicely !
in the second incarnation of my fix,i've used a pinch bolt over the nipple for added security,and a cabletie to prevent cable disengaging from the lever.
so far,its working!

Editor

Post by Editor » 6th September 2007 - 11:29pm

Thanks for letting us know, Peter, and congratulations on finding the solution with minimal tears.