Type 3 Engine Mounts

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
the Death Twinkie

Type 3 Engine Mounts

Post by the Death Twinkie » 5th September 2007 - 7:50pm

I'm removing the engine on my squareback for some flywheel machining and other fine tuning and I seem to be having trouble finding what my "Chilton's Air-Cooled VW ('49-'69) Repair Manual" means by this:

10. After removing the flexible air hoses between the engine and heat exchangers, disconnect the heater flap cables, unscrew the two lower engine mounting nuts and slide a jack underneath the engine. Be sure that it is suitable for supporting the weight of the engine without placing undude strain on the components.

I've found the two rear engine mounts, and I know about where the case bolts to the transaxle case, but i can't seem to find out what the manual means by "two lower engine mounting nuts." If anyone here has dropped a type 3 engine (which I'm sure someone here has) then could someone fill me in? I already have pretty much everything disconnected as far as the oil filler boot, intake bellows, heater flap cables, heat exchanger hoses, etc.

Thanks!

Editor

Post by Editor » 5th September 2007 - 11:22pm

The engine is held onto the transmission case bell-housing by 4 bolts - well, two studs at the bottom actually, so you're looking for two nuts on the lower edge of the bell housing, at say 5 o'clock and 7 o'clock. They're 17mm heads I think.

On the top there is one nut and bolt that also holds the starter on (the nut is on the engine side at 2 o'clock), and another bolt that goes from the bell housing into a threaded boss on the engine crank-case flange. Some models may have a nut and bolt here. Again it's a 17mm head.

Hope that helps.

the Death Twinkie

Post by the Death Twinkie » 6th September 2007 - 1:18am

actually yes that helps A LOT.
i knew where the two bolts on the bottom of the transaxle case were, but i thought they were fed into threaded bosses instead of nuts, so i didn't really know what the manual meant.

thanks much!