Oil

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
purplepeter

Oil

Post by purplepeter » 4th November 2007 - 10:17pm

Gents,
The slippery question of oils rears its ugly head!
What brands and grades does everyone use?
I've always tended to use castrol gtx in my aircooled engines,(probably due mainly to their tv ad campaigns in the '70s),but havent been able to get it reliably in the last couple of years
Have recently been using duckhams q,but not terribly happy with it
I've seen Dave putting morris into his engine,but what is everyone else using?

cheers,

peter

DelBoy

Post by DelBoy » 5th November 2007 - 7:49am

VW Heritage have a good rant on oil
http://www.vwheritage.com/vwh/Vehicle-P ... lateID=vwh

dubnut62

Post by dubnut62 » 5th November 2007 - 8:31am

Like yourself I've always used Castrol GTX in all my aircools since the mid 80's. I've recently put Castrol GTX high mileage in the notch and I've had no issues with it. Costco stock it if you are a member.

George

miketyp3

Post by miketyp3 » 5th November 2007 - 9:03am

I swear by Morris's Supreme 30, but I don't run my cars winter and typically the oil gets changed every 1000 - 1500 miles (once a year).

I think the Heritage advice is correct in what it says, but it doesn't mention anything about additives in modern multigrades.

From Morris's web site.

"Supreme Engine Oils are recommended for use in veteran, classic and vintage cars, motorcycles and tractors, where engine design and tolerances prohibit the use of modern multigrade, high additive level oils. Modern dispersant additives keep combustion chamber contamination suspended in the lubricant, allowing full flow cartridge filters to remove it. Early oil filtration, usually in the form of a mesh gauze or strainer, is not efficient enough to remove this suspended material. Supreme Grades are low dispersant oils and allow the suspended matter to drop harmlessly into the sump."

You didn't mention why you weren't happy with Duckhams Q.
I used to use it back in the 80's and early 90's and never had a problem (or so I thought...)

Fastlife

Post by Fastlife » 5th November 2007 - 10:12am

Duckhams is 1970's oil technology & is fine for aircooleds but there are better products if you do big miles, have a performance engine or are not a great one for changing your oil!
If at 1st you dont succeed...........it probably wasnt worth it, just say f*ck it & go get a beer!

Editor

Post by Editor » 6th November 2007 - 12:09am

I've seen learned air-cooled VW guys supporting 30 grade, and agree that the engine tends to run cooler in summer, and doesn't produce sludge in the filler cap in winter, unlike Duckhams used to on short journeys.

There's thinking that a 50-grade doesn't flow as freely at normal engine temperatures, so flow rates through the oil cooler reduce.

I'm not about to change from using Morris' 30 grade!

easy

Post by easy » 6th November 2007 - 9:55am

Editor wrote:I've seen learned air-cooled VW guys supporting 30 grade, and agree that the engine tends to run cooler in summer, and doesn't produce sludge in the filler cap in winter, unlike Duckhams used to on short journeys.

There's thinking that a 50-grade doesn't flow as freely at normal engine temperatures, so flow rates through the oil cooler reduce.

I'm not about to change from using Morris' 30 grade!
Here here!

Ive used Morris oil for all my air cooled dubs over the years and never had any problems. From show winners to rats, all times of year and they have always run smooth as you like. Only my experiences, but i wont be changing anbytime soon from Morris. 8)
Chrome doesnt get you home...

nidge

Post by nidge » 7th November 2007 - 11:42pm

i've never used a monograde only a good 20-50 and never had a problem.
72 square
71 Fasty
67 Fasty - broken! parts for sale , try me.
64 Ghia
67 squareblack

GrahamM

More oil

Post by GrahamM » 8th November 2007 - 8:47pm

I was recommended to use Castrol GTX for my JMR 2007cc lump and always have. I have had it for 10 years and it seems to like it. So I keep using it.

Graham