Sorry to ask for help again so soon but...

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
shawn71

Sorry to ask for help again so soon but...

Post by shawn71 » 16th December 2007 - 5:25pm

my T4 Variant did a 150 mile round trip yesterday to collect some replacement seats and didn't miss a beat at all, ran realy well and I was well chuffed as it is the furthest I have been in it in the few weks I have had it...

However this morning I got about a 150 yards up the road on our way to meet up with some other VWers for a trip out and it STOPPED!!

It kind of stuttered to a standstill and refused to start for a few minutes, popped the engine cover off and couldn't see anything obvious wrong. Did the usual pretence of knowing what I was doing by checking the various electrical connections etc and tried again to start it...thankfully it started although it was a bit rough, so turned round and limped it home.

Had a better look see at home (away from the side of the road) checking inside the distributer cap and all looked well with no excesive wear or movement on the shaft. The car seemed to run fine once it warmed up so we chanced it and went to the meet. It ran fine there but stuttered a few times on the way home.

The engine is a "w" code 1700 fuel injected, and is, as far as I know unmodified in anyway.

Therefore my question is,

do I check over the ignition system first and in what order, before I jump to the conclusion it is a fuel injection fault or should I check something else first?

PS Sorry about the length of the post, just tried to include everything :D

Rhodrich

Post by Rhodrich » 16th December 2007 - 6:17pm

Have a look here at FI Troubleshooting:
http://www.icbm.org/erkson/ttt/engine/f ... d-jet.html

Troubleshooting starts halfway down the page.....
1951 Ragtop Bug
1965 Mercedes 230SL
1972 VW 412LE Variant
err.... 1999 Toyota Yaris

shawn71

Post by shawn71 » 16th December 2007 - 6:50pm

Thanks for the link Rhodrich, a very in depth article that I understand very little of I'm afraid as I never could get to grips with the idea of resistance and how to test it :oops: Might have to rope my brother into this one as physics/electrical circuits were always more his thing :?

So does it sound more of an FI fault to you than an ignition one?

Editor

Post by Editor » 16th December 2007 - 9:29pm

Just some ideas:-

Fuel pump relay intermittent - might respond some times and not others. My FI Fastback can do that sometimes - usually keeps running but no power.

Trigger points dirty - they trigger the injectors - clean them with a piece of clean card (no abrasives, files ot other savage material).

Any poor connection in the host of them in the FI wiring harness. Make sure the earthing points on the crankcase are clean.

Check the ignition points, gap and firing point (timing), advance mechanism operating smoothly - rotor arm can be turned 10 or 15 degrees one way, and should snap back to original position (checking centrifugal advance, assuming yours has it).

There's a few things to try. Toby's trouble shooting, and the Complete Idiot Guide injection pages are other sources, but the CIG you have to work through it all - no short-cuts suggested.