Replacing door window scrapers

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
DelBoy

Replacing door window scrapers

Post by DelBoy » 22nd May 2008 - 6:05pm

The question about replacing the outer window scrapers pops up here every so often, so while I did it as part of my squareback rebuild I thought I'd take photos and describe the process.

Step 1 - Take your door... remove the window glass and the felt channel that goes around the rear and top edge of the door. You may need to remove the lower part of the channel at the rear - this is on a plate which covers the lock mechanism inside the door.

Step 2 - Remove the inner seal by pushing this into the window gap. This should come out quite easily

Step 3 - Remove the vent wing (or whatever you call it) - be careful not to damage the window trim while removing it. The aluminium trim should then unclip and come out of the door quite easily.

Step 4 - Here is my aluminium trim removed from the door showing typical damage - the metal strip holding the rubber in place has disappeared into rust and the rubber scraper is perished & broken

Step 5 - Here's another problem - the clips holding the trim in place in the door rust too - I only had 3 good clips recovered from both my doors, you will need 6 per side.

Step 6 - I purchased a replacement scraper from Status VW as they do a 'universal' piece (comes as a pair). I didn't replace the aluminium trim on my car; I'm told a Beetle part can be made to fit but I have no idea how similar they are. Type 3 trim is no longer available.
The Status VW part (which they claim is their own design) included a turn-up at each end so you cut to length. The radius of the turn at each end isn't quite tight enough, but it fits OK with a bit of trimming.

Step 7 - Here's the old parts off my door, all separated by drilling out the rivets - the aluminium trim, the rubber scraper (in pieces) and the clamping strip (what's left of it)

Step 8 - Here's the new parts for assembly, the Status VW scraper cut to length, a new clamp strip I made from sheet steel - one edge needs to be folded slightly to give it a little strength, it's fairly straightforward to copy the original part

Step 9 - I used 4mm diameter x 6mm long pop rivets to fix the parts together, I think the original rivets might be a bit smaller (maybe 3.2 or 3.6mm). Near enough is good enough! Push the rivets through, punch out the centre pin and then flare out the rivet until it is flat

Step 10 - The clips to hold the trim in place in the door are not stocked by any of the main VW parts companies as far as I can tell. With some digging I found these http://www.bresco.com/acatalog/info_10020.html which apparently are from Morris Minors but fit just fine.

Step 11 - All done - here's the trim refitted in the door, the new outer scraper, old inner scraper, felt channel and window glass have been refitted too in this picture!

Hope this helps!

Editor

Post by Editor » 22nd May 2008 - 7:09pm

Echoes of the description in the Club Technical Handbook. I did this on the Fastback - fiddly but not really rocket science. I used thin galvanised sheet for the backing plate - shouldn't rust again.

I think I've noticed someone like Megabug doing the small clips, but if Morris Minor ones are the same, I expect they would be cheaper.
Dave.

nidge

Post by nidge » 22nd May 2008 - 10:36pm

reminds me i've got a couple to do.

A good how to , thanks 8)
72 square
71 Fasty
67 Fasty - broken! parts for sale , try me.
64 Ghia
67 squareblack

nitro_warrior

Post by nitro_warrior » 23rd May 2008 - 9:59pm

Good how to! thanks
VW Type 3 Fastback
2x Fiat Panda 4x4

aircoolsteve

Post by aircoolsteve » 24th May 2008 - 8:02pm

hi. what a great workshop thread.
i'm doing mine as part of my squareback resto but i'm using the rubber from a bay van. the profile is as near as the same as makes no diference. the trick here is to find a pair of type3 scrapers that have no damage on them. they can also suffer from the finnish dulling. mine are a bit dull so i'm trying to get the shine back on them and then a coat of lacquer.
steve

broady_6

Re: Replacing door window scrapers

Post by broady_6 » 18th March 2019 - 9:40pm

It would seem that strip of universal scraper is longer available. I guess as it was useful they stopped making it. I cant see why I need to pay £47 a side just to replace a strip of perished rubber
The sultan of swing

purplepeter

Post by purplepeter » 18th March 2019 - 10:42pm

I think Simon Kelley is about to start selling them Broady!
I can vouch that the gsf brazillian ones are crap- rubber is too soft!
I think you can also buy type 2 rubbers that are much more beefy

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 19th March 2019 - 7:28am

Just about, as in this week? I need them yesterday if im to stand any chance of being at stanford hall. My current plan to use a good pair of inners fitted to the outside
The sultan of swing

broady_6

Post by broady_6 » 23rd March 2019 - 8:36am

Given the difficulty in making the rubber bits. I know the indicator rubbers were at least 6 months over due. Ive gone down the fix it myself route. Ive used a pair of inner scrapers on the outside. They the same profile.

Also, someone must already make outter scrapers if you can get them complete with chrome trim. Would it not be worth us tracking down them?

The sultan of swing