1969 411 struts and springs

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
why oh why

1969 411 struts and springs

Post by why oh why » 12th August 2008 - 11:05pm

Hello everyone , newbie vw owner needing help.
Mcpherson struts.
Can anybody advise me how they can be fixed/where to get/what fits instead ,as the car thats featured in the where are they now section is now in my shed looking very poorly SKK 195G bought it on sunday in bradford. Will post some pics soon.

Editor

Post by Editor » 12th August 2008 - 11:35pm

UK (and World?) Type 4 experts are Jane and Bryan Terry, in Kent. 01303840241.

2-door 411LS according to club records - 4 previous club members, spread from London to Durham, so it's been around a bit.

Oh yes, found Danny's pics.
Dave.

shawn71

Post by shawn71 » 13th August 2008 - 8:48am

I've got a 412 and to say finding parts is hard is an understatement which is why I have opted to go the rather extreme route of using Audi 80 gas inserts and having parts machined to make them fit. I am also having the bushes replaced with an acetal plastic called delrin and the idler arm bush with bronze.

I did find one company who had some NOS inserts listed but they were £180 each plus VaT and had been sat on a shelf for around 20 years so I was a tad doubtful of how well the seals would hold up.

If you want I can send you the details of what has been done to mine in a week or so for you assess if you want to take the same route or attempt to source some others. By the way, one of the deciding factors for me was this was the second set of inserts, the originals fitted to the car had a leak in the N/S and was dying a death and the second hand ones I fitted both started showing signs of weeping so...

I hope I haven't put you off as they are truly great air-cooled cars and well worth the time repairing

Editor

Post by Editor » 13th August 2008 - 1:24pm

If you can get down to the Farm for the event there, you would get a great welcome! I don't know if they've workshop sessions planned, but I'd be surprised if they don't.
Dave.

why oh why

Post by why oh why » 20th August 2008 - 6:28pm

Thanks for the audi tip, Think I might have the struts sorted, spax apparently will build "specials" at about £70 per strut insert, posting them away this weekend. Will try to get to elham in sept ,411 won't though .

shawn71

Post by shawn71 » 20th August 2008 - 7:13pm

why oh why wrote:Thanks for the audi tip, Think I might have the struts sorted, spax apparently will build "specials" at about £70 per strut insert, posting them away this weekend. Will try to get to elham in sept ,411 won't though .
Wish I'd known about this one before I rebuilt mine! Let us know how they turn out and what the ride is like 8)

I'll let you know what mine is like when I get it back, hopefully before VW Action...