Arrgh!!!

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
squareback simon

Arrgh!!!

Post by squareback simon » 27th November 2008 - 4:23pm

just got back home and now the generator light is on. Reving makes no difference (light doesnt go out) and up until today there's been no problem. No fanbelt squeal although I have checked the tightness and it does look a little loose.

So now on top of the brake problem (pads arriving tomorrow hopefully and I have some copper grease to lubricate the piston just in case it's sticking) I have to tighten /change the fanbelt and if that doesnt work I suppose I'll have to check the alternator and then the regulator.

Piggin' things :x

Editor

Post by Editor » 27th November 2008 - 5:47pm

WARNING!! Don't use copper grease on the piston - rubber grease would be OK. Copper grease is OK for the back of the pad to stop brake squeal, but keep off the pads and rubber parts!

Try tapping the regulator with a hammer handle or something - it may be the points micro-welding together. They do that as they get old. It's an indication you need a new regulator. Maybe you've heard some clicking from time to time?

If it stays on with ignition off, that's probably a burnt out regulator load resistor - new regulator needed.

The looseness is probably not a problem - many people run them too tight and wear out the dynamo bearings.
Dave.

squareback simon

Post by squareback simon » 27th November 2008 - 6:03pm

Dave you are my Sensei as always.

Thanks v much you've probably saved me hours of grief and waisted money.

Are you going to the Bristol christmas cruise?

squareback simon

Post by squareback simon » 28th November 2008 - 5:19pm

well sorted out the red generator light issue. Turned out the carbon brushes needed replacing.

just the brakes to do over the weekend now.

Editor

Post by Editor » 30th November 2008 - 11:08pm

Then of course, it might be the brushes!!

At the moment I'm not planning to go - the Variant is out of MoT and I've not bothered to try for a pass as I really want to get the front outer and inner wing and air box repairs done. Of course, the micro-blistering on the original paint on the bonnet and boot, plus the thin respray on parts of the sides is all suggesting a need for in-depth restoration... and we all know what happens when we start on that!
Dave.