Can somebody please help?

Come here to ask for technical help and advice
unclemoom

Can somebody please help?

Post by unclemoom » 7th March 2009 - 6:29pm

I have a clicking noise under the dash of my 66 square and its driving me crazy. I just can't seem to find where its coming from or whats actually causing it. I've had everything out from under the dash and put it all back neat so there isn't anything moving there but the noise still persists. Can anybody please advise me what this may be because it is really starting to annoy me now. Thankyou.

corndog

Post by corndog » 7th March 2009 - 7:21pm

Is it constant?

shawn71

Post by shawn71 » 7th March 2009 - 7:25pm

Is it a relay kind of clicking noise or a loose kind of clicking.

My sons Golf had the indicator relay start doing this (never did fix it as sold the car) and it was very noticable and very annoying.

What ever the fault with it did not affect the way indicators worked it just made the relay click, click, click...

unclemoom

Post by unclemoom » 8th March 2009 - 2:27pm

Its wierd, sometimes its constant and other times its not. I drove back from leeds earlier this week and even when i was going along on the flat it was clicking. I don't believe its a relay noise it sounds more like its something loose moving around, but like i said i've eliminated everthing under the dash that could be loose.
I'm stumped.

corndog

Post by corndog » 8th March 2009 - 4:15pm

Does it change speed? When it's really cold my speedo very occasionally makes a ticking noise. I guess it's a bearing or part of the mech

Editor

Post by Editor » 8th March 2009 - 6:04pm

It certainly can be the speedo cable - you may be able to adjust it out by holding the outer sleeve behind the stub axle, and pushing it into the hub, and pulling it out until it stops, to work out the amount of play, then setting it about midway.

The clip on the end of the inner cable stops it coming right out of the hub.

If that's not successful, sometimes unscrewing and replacing the collar holding it onto the speedo itself may help.

The cable may have a broken strand - if so simply get a new one (same as RHD Type 1 Karman Ghia).
Dave.

unclemoom

Post by unclemoom » 8th March 2009 - 6:23pm

Thanks for your suggestions guys but i know for certain that it isn't my speedo, thats whats doing my head in i just can't seem to get to the bottom of it.
Die Schwarzen Schafe........

Editor

Post by Editor » 8th March 2009 - 11:26pm

Death-watch beetle maybe? Any timber under there? :badgrin:
Dave.